Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Chipped Beef! As Gram would say... SOS .. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/chipped-beef-gram-would-say-sos-t212962.html)

girliegirl 02-04-2013 09:59 AM

Chipped Beef! As Gram would say... SOS ..

NOW !! after reading this section, I am hungry for SOS... as my Grammy called it S$#& on shingles... lol.. why she called it that, I don't know.. but after I ate it, it was my favorite.. on toast... She was Pennsylvania Dutch and I don't have her recipe.. She had it in her head... anyone out there know ???

girliegirl 02-04-2013 10:01 AM

My Uncle Bill used to make a big pot of tomato soup with chucks of cheddar and eat that on toast... the soup was left thick...

chips88 02-04-2013 10:04 AM

yes it is my fav too... beef bullion cubes flour to paste.mix bullion water and flour. and brown hamburger mix all together and toast the toast. salt and pepper to taste. oh yea mash potatoes in there to

girliegirl 02-04-2013 10:07 AM

Chips.... you are making it worse! i am starving her at work! oh man...

Originally Posted by chips88 (Post 5837873)
yes it is my fav too... beef bullion cubes flour to paste.mix bullion water and flour. and brown hamburger mix all together and toast the toast. salt and pepper to taste. oh yea mash potatoes in there to

NJ Quilter 02-04-2013 10:19 AM

I do it the easy way...buy packages of dried chipped beef - in my grocery store, near the bacon/pork roll. Recipe is on the back of the package but it's easy. I cut up the beef into bite size pieces, I use 1/2 the butter (abt 2 tbsp - recipe calls for 4). Brown the meat in the butter for a couple of seconds. Add 4 tablespoons flour; 2.5 cups milk. Stir to get rid of lumps, cook over med heat until thick - about 5-10 min. Since I try to avoid flour, I eat it over baked (or nuked) potato. DH likes it on toast.

Ellen 02-04-2013 11:32 AM

If I don't feel like making white cream gravy I use an envelope of Peppered White Gravy that you add 3 cups water to. I use the dried beef in jars, cut in bitesize pieces. I don't add the dried beef until the gravy is smooth. This doesn't need salt....there's plenty in the beef.

Pinkiris 02-04-2013 12:45 PM

When I was a kid, my Mom's "creamed chipped beef" was a white sauce (butter, flour and milk) to which she added chopped up Buddig beef, from the small pouch, and peas. We ate it on toast. Not my favorite, but I liked it better than what she called "chop-suey"!!!

janceejan 02-04-2013 01:17 PM

we grew up eating it. jarred chipped beef and white sauce. mom added a chopped hard boiled egg

ShabbyTabby 02-04-2013 01:22 PM

I remember my Mom making this during World War II when fresh meat was rationed. We ate it at least one or two nights a week. Also creamed tuna on toast. I still enjoy those simple dishes.

lots2do 02-04-2013 04:04 PM

My Mom called it S on a S too. I had it at a friend's house and she was rather snobbish about it when I came home raving about it. Said that name came from soldiers eating it too many times during the war.