Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Christmas Goose (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/christmas-goose-t317030.html)

tropit 12-09-2021 06:11 AM

Christmas Goose

Has anyone ever made a Christmas Goose? I made one once, many years ago. I used a Julia Child recipe that required you to steam the goose first to rid it of much of the excess fat, then bake it. It was delicious! I don't even know where to find a goose these days.

I miss Julia Child. She was special.

Tartan 12-09-2021 06:30 AM

My Mom cooked a Christmas goose once. She said the most important tip was to put it on a wire rack so the grease can drip down off it.

Iceblossom 12-09-2021 06:32 AM

I've cooked goose before, they are semi-easily available frozen but not always carried especially in smaller markets but you can typically request one from the butcher. I've been seeing them out for the holidays, they are significantly higher priced than turkey or duck. I do a pretty basic treatment, throw in some celery, onions and carrots and herbs in large chunks and throw it all in the oven.

The wall oven in my house is not the standard size used today and to replace it basically meant a full kitchen remodel, which I had planned but when I stopped working we had to use the funds to bridge the pay gap, it's been over 10 years since I had a working oven. I do really good with my toaster oven, the charcoal weber grill (I can cook up to a 12 pound or so turkey on that...) and the stove top but I don't think I could handle a goose.

I think the hubby now that he is keto would love the goose fat. It is high on my list of things to do when I have an oven again. I'm hoping by this time next year to be back among the group of "those that have ovens".

Annaquilts 12-09-2021 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8524299)
Has anyone ever made a Christmas Goose? I made one once, many years ago. I used a Julia Child recipe that required you to steam the goose first to rid it of much of the excess fat, then bake it. It was delicious! I don't even know where to find a goose these days.

I miss Julia Child. She was special.

I have cooked a goose but I draped it in bacon. I cooked it on low for a long time. The same with duck, except I do not put bacon on that. I like a very crispy skin. I liked the duck better then the goose but then the goose we had was older.

SusieQOH 12-09-2021 06:52 AM

tropit- when Paul was in the hospital we watched a French cook every Sunday. He was so interesting but I forgot his name. He was on PBS and his recipes were wonderful.
I don't know a thing about geese lol
Yes, Julia Child was wonderful!

sewingitalltogether 12-09-2021 07:01 AM

Yes. One , and only one. Many many years ago my first husband was raising geese. They were very cute, had a light to keep them warm. He went out to feed them one morning before work and one bit him. He grabbed it by the neck , brought it into the kitchen, slung it into the sink said here cook this for dinner. It took me a long time to gut and pluck the feathers out. By that time I figured that it was too big for just us and I needed to call somebody to come eat dinner with us. I did. Baked it.
Never raised another goose. He went on to raise rabbits. But that’s another story.

tropit 12-09-2021 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8524312)
tropit- when Paul was in the hospital we watched a French cook every Sunday. He was so interesting but I forgot his name. He was on PBS and his recipes were wonderful.
I don't know a thing about geese lol
Yes, Julia Child was wonderful!

Was it Jacques Pépin?

Julia child lived in the Santa Barbara area for many years. We lived just over the hill and so SB was our "Big Town," where we went to do our shopping, go to movies and eat out. One time, when my dau was a young teen and an avid foodie, we went out to dinner. Who was sitting just 2 tables away? Julia! My dau was absolutely beside herself! She so wanted to go talk to her and to find out what she was eating, but I wouldn't let her barge in at her table. It just wasn't polite. So, my dau was constantly craning her neck as the waiter brought Julia's food out. The whole thing was kind of embarrassing, but my dau never forgot it.

SusieQOH 12-09-2021 07:09 AM

Yes! It was Jacques!!!
Omg, you saw Julia, how cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tropit 12-09-2021 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8524306)
I've cooked goose before, they are semi-easily available frozen but not always carried especially in smaller markets but you can typically request one from the butcher. I've been seeing them out for the holidays, they are significantly higher priced than turkey or duck. I do a pretty basic treatment, throw in some celery, onions and carrots and herbs in large chunks and throw it all in the oven.

The wall oven in my house is not the standard size used today and to replace it basically meant a full kitchen remodel, which I had planned but when I stopped working we had to use the funds to bridge the pay gap, it's been over 10 years since I had a working oven. I do really good with my toaster oven, the charcoal weber grill (I can cook up to a 12 pound or so turkey on that...) and the stove top but I don't think I could handle a goose.

I think the hubby now that he is keto would love the goose fat. It is high on my list of things to do when I have an oven again. I'm hoping by this time next year to be back among the group of "those that have ovens".

Have you looked into a portable oven? I have 2, old, electric, Dutch ovens that we pull out for the holidays. We have to start up the generator so we can leave the lights on at the same time while things are cooking in them. :D They're power hogs, but they do work great in a pinch. You can find them cheap on Ebay.

tropit 12-09-2021 07:16 AM

Now I have to check our local grocery store to see if they have a goose to cook up. I don't know where Julia's recipe went. I'll have to look online to see if I can find something similar. My dau would love having a goose for Christmas dinner.