Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Coffee pot clean up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/coffee-pot-clean-up-t308374.html)

tranum 12-01-2019 04:44 AM

Coffee pot clean up

We’ve heard coffee machines should be cleaned with vinegar every 2-3 months. I assumed it was because they’ll operate better but I’m finding out we can get sick from mold found in coffee machines so besides cleaning, it is important to allow the parts to dry out after daily use.

Rhonda K 12-01-2019 05:16 AM

Thanks for the reminder. My coffee pot is due for a cleaning. On another note, you don't want to know about the gunk in the ice maker line on the refrigerator. We took out the ice maker and didn't replace it. I can wash the ice cube trays. Check the seals on drink cup lids too. I take them off and scrub with a small brush.

Have you ever checked the inspection report at your favorite restaurant? Lemons in your water or tea? It's a wonder we survive it all. LOL.

Stitchnripper 12-02-2019 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8334744)
Thanks for the reminder. My coffee pot is due for a cleaning. On another note, you don't want to know about the gunk in the ice maker line on the refrigerator. We took out the ice maker and didn't replace it. I can wash the ice cube trays. Check the seals on drink cup lids too. I take them off and scrub with a small brush.

Have you ever checked the inspection report at your favorite restaurant? Lemons in your water or tea? It's a wonder we survive it all. LOL.

all good reminders. Our state has an app and we can type in the eatery and their most recent inspection report comes
up. We do check it

juliasb 12-02-2019 07:56 AM

I have a counter top Ice Maker and I clean it monthly. I noticed one time that it looked like there may be a bit of mold growing so I cleaned it with vinegar, let it dry and then put it back in use. I prefer this over the one in the refrigerator because this is so much easier to take care of. My coffee maker is cleaned every couple months. I did it only a couple days ago. It is amazing to me how many people will asked me what this long spring is for when they get something out of a drawer for me in the kitchen.

nlgh 12-02-2019 11:26 AM

In the 60's, I worked in an office where there were five of us when every one was in town. "Don't wash the coffee pot" was the mantra. One day I went home sick and threw up all night. So whenever it was my turn to clean up, that coffee pot got washed with soap and water. I didn't get sick again, but I didn't drink much coffee again, either. To this day, only one or two cups of coffee is about all I can handle a day.

tranum 12-02-2019 04:23 PM

Our built-in ice maker quit after 2 years. Dang thing had been seeping & warped the laminate floor under the refrigerator. :( We do not choose to replace the beast. We buy 5# bag of ice at the gas station and fill the tray. My friend had a malfunctioning ice maker that did a lot of damage to her basement ceiling. I don’t trust them.

Jingle 12-02-2019 04:39 PM

We tried using one many years ago. With hard water it only worked a few years. We are not ice people.

I clean my coffee pot when it starts running slow. Water not so hard now.

TeresaA 12-02-2019 05:00 PM

We have hard water and clean our coffee pot about every 6 months or else we sit waiting like anxious puppy dogs as our coffee trickles through, LOL. I think if mold would kill us we'd be dead 3 times now. Mild exposure to molds tweak our immune systems in a good way so that they're primed to fight real illness (full disclosure, I have a molecular biology degree, took a full quarter of immunology and feel what I'm saying is based on real science!).

Which reminds me...one of my guest professors told us about the "fecal veneer". The earth is covered in what amounts to a think layer of feces. We can never get away from germs. Our immune systems like this "friendly reminder" of the bad guys out there. https://www.thecut.com/2015/05/not-j...p-covered.html

It's a paradox, but people who live in "too clean" of a world are more prone to things like allergy and immune diseases. Of course, there are extremes.

Claire123 12-03-2019 12:41 AM

We don't use one any more. I had them for many years and had to clean it out with vinegar because we had hard water. It clogged it up.

Claire123 12-03-2019 12:45 AM

Thank you Rhonda and Stitchnripper for mentioning about the restaurant inspection reports. I think I'm going to see if we have anything like that here.