Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cooking "Greens" help needed !! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cooking-%22greens%22-help-needed-t103371.html)

tutty 02-26-2011 05:25 PM

Hi, joined a organic farm co op with my sis !! Good right ? Well they will be having a get together and you need to bring a cooked veg or green to it with a recipe ! Well not to up on cooking Greens especially when you don't want to use bacon or ham !!!! Can anyone out there help me ? We are talking mustard, collard, kale, spinach,turnip and and and and MAN oh Man did not know how many greens they grew !!!! Please , pretty please with sugar on top some real simple tasty cooked or whatever greens recipes you might have !!! Thank you , Bless You ! Maybe everyone can benifit from this ? Yay !!!!

tutty 02-26-2011 05:28 PM

Oh bok choy and chinese cabbage too !!!

winterpromise31 02-26-2011 05:41 PM

Are you looking for recipes where greens are just included in the ingredients or where they are the primary ingredient? For the former, I know of an awesome gyoza (dumpling) recipe that uses bok choy/chinese cabbage. It is really good!

http://www.veggienumnum.com/2010/01/vegetarian-gyoza/

redquilter 02-26-2011 05:49 PM

Spinach - I saute some minced garlic and chopped onion in olive oil, then add the spinach with a little water and let it wilt and cook. Then add some raisins (and toasted pine nuts if desired).

Bok Choy -Saute some minced garlic in olive oil, add Bok Choy and some water and cover. Cook till tender. Add some oyster sauce.

And of course, you can always google recipes for all of the greens.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-26-2011 05:57 PM

We use spinach and cabbage to make runzas, but that hast meat so probably not what you are looking for. Other than that, we eat spinach raw in salads mostly. I avoid kale at all costs and don't even want to be in the house when mustard is cooking.

gmaybee 02-26-2011 08:15 PM

How about a spinach strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing.

Diana Lynne 02-27-2011 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by tutty
Hi, joined a organic farm co op with my sis !! Good right ? Well they will be having a get together and you need to bring a cooked veg or green to it with a recipe ! Well not to up on cooking Greens especially when you don't want to use bacon or ham !!!! Can anyone out there help me ? We are talking mustard, collard, kale, spinach,turnip and and and and MAN oh Man did not know how many greens they grew !!!! Please , pretty please with sugar on top some real simple tasty cooked or whatever greens recipes you might have !!! Thank you , Bless You ! Maybe everyone can benifit from this ? Yay !!!!

I grew up eating greens :D ..Here is my recipe for things like mustard greens, turnip, collard greens..My Kids LOVE them..I buy 2 bunches at a time and cook them and its still not enough to go around....You put your greens in a pot, fill it to about half way with water..Add your salt (to your taste or want) , a tad bit of veg.oil ( usually a couple of drops)..Add about two teaspoons of sugar..When the greens cook down, stir it and taste them..If needed add a touch more of either salt or sugar to taste..and cook for a little longer till greens are tender..

#1piecemaker 02-27-2011 05:02 AM

Gosh, I'm from the south. I always throw if a little bacon or ham for seasoning but I suppose you could do it with out. So, I'd go with Diana Lynn's way of cooking them. It's the closest to mine.

pumpkinface 02-27-2011 05:54 AM

I have always eaten greens of every kind. Instead of using pork, I use smoked turkey. I cook large amounts of collard greens at a time, about 3 lbs. In a 5 quart stock pot I put 1 quart of water, 2 large cooking onions, chopped, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 lb smoked turkey parts. Let this come to a boil and add your prepared greens (washed and cut into about 2 inch pieces). Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmering flame, check water and add as necessary to keep greens covered. I always keep my teapot of boiling water on the stove to add water as necessary. I like my greens well cooked and tender. If you like okra and/or bell pepper add those after greens have been cooking for 1 hour. Cook an additional 15 minutes or until tender to your taste.

Yooper32 02-27-2011 05:54 AM

Spinach and cheese quiche, if it is a recipe that has other ingredients than the veggie.