Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cooking With Sherry (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cooking-sherry-t316306.html)

tropit 09-05-2021 09:48 AM

Cooking With Sherry

Sherry is kind of an old fashioned ingredient these days, but I still love it. It's an elegant addition to many dishes. One of my favorites is Sherried Mushrooms. Just saute the sliced mushrooms (any kind) in some butter, or olive oil until they are browned. Splash on some sherry and allow them to brown a little more. Sometimes I add some tomato paste, or cream. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mushrooms are good with eggs, on toast, or as an appetizer with crackers, or a french baguette...and maybe some fig jam as a condiment.

Speaking of figs...sherried figs are also delicious.

tropit 09-07-2021 07:41 AM

I can see by the number of replies to this post that sherry is no longer an important ingredient in today's modern diets. Of course, that makes me all the more interested in it. :)

peaceandjoy 09-07-2021 07:33 PM

A long time ago, I made something with cooking sherry - from the grocery - and it was terrible. I've never bought actual sherry from the liquor store. I'm afraid I'd use such a small amount of it that it wouldn't be worth it.

tropit 09-10-2021 01:36 PM

I love Sherry. There are many kinds of Sherry and it is much more appreciated and used in Europe. It's hard to find a good variety of Sherries here, in the US. Much of the Sherry there comes from Spain. I had fun trying different kinds of Sherry when I was visiting there. Fino Sherry, with a cold seltzer, water a little lime juice and garnished with mint is a lovely cocktail that you can sip all day.

If you like Port, then Portugal is your kind of place.

Anniedeb 09-10-2021 07:31 PM

I'm a real sauted mushroom fan, but never thought to use Sherry. I usually use balsamic vinegar, or worcestershire sauce on them. I frequently use golden or cream sherry, especially in beef dishes.

toverly 09-11-2021 05:06 AM

My mom put 2 tablespoons of sherry into her Jello salad. Don't know how she came up with that, but people loved her Jello. She put in canned fruit cocktail, chopped pecans and sherry for flavoring.

EasyPeezy 09-13-2021 06:47 PM

Tropit, do you use dry or sweet Sherry with your mushrooms?
I use dry or medium-dry Sherry in stir-fry. Use it to marinate meat.
Don't know why but it's harder to find now. Have to go big liquor
store in the city.

tropit 09-14-2021 06:54 AM

EasyPeezy...It doesn't say on the bottle, but I would say that it is closer to a medium-dry sherry. It's not overly sweet. I don't have a wide variety of sherries where I live. I'm lucky that they have it at all in the local, grocery store. I find the better stuff in their liquor section. It's not the same as the inferior, "cooking sherry," that you can find in the condiments section of the store. You would think that one of the many vineyards around here would start producing some specialty sherries and ports. I guess that it's just not that popular and they're afraid to take a chance on it. Plus, it takes a long time to mature.

I got turned on to really good ports when I went to Portugal. Wow...so smooth and such amazing flavor. So many different kinds too. Our hotel would leave us a small bottle of Port every evening with two glasses. It wasn't even a fancy hotel. The Portuguese are very proud of their ports and really like to show them off.

EasyPeezy 09-14-2021 07:49 AM

Thanks, Tropit.
Anything that says "cooking wine" is nasty stuff. I started using Sherry
when I couldn't find Shaoxing wine without salt. In order to be able to
sell it at the Chinese grocery here they have to add salt. Grrr.