Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cooking for two 3qt instant pot recipes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cooking-two-3qt-instant-pot-recipes-t298419.html)

Nanny's dollface 07-22-2018 07:36 AM

Cooking for two 3qt instant pot recipes?

Normally, DH who is retired and 19 - 20 years older ( depending on the time of the year lol) does all the cooking during the week when I work. Lucky me- Except for the past month. Weather has been hot 90-100’s . I don’t feel much like cooking after 10 -12 hour work days so we have gone out to restaurants almost every night. Uggg I am now tired of restaurants and reservations but do want good food as I am not a fast food eater. So yesterday, I purchase a 3 quart Instant Pot. I have never used a pressure cooker- heard too many horror stories as a kid about them “blowing up”. DH says food is better in one and that the new ones have better safety features. OK I will take the plunge.
as I unboxed the monster, I found the instructions and read them as if I was prepping for a final exam. Reviewed You Tube videos on starting up. Took all precautions for safety plus wearing my safety goggles. I was about to venture in a pressure zone. I performed the water steam pressure test. Lol Yeah, I passed that exam and did not blow up the house.
Not wanting to ruin a good piece of steak, I brought home some cubed steak. DH looked at it and asked, “ Oh is that for the puppy?” “No”, I replied “ that’s for us in my new cooking device.” “I won’t like it.” He says bluntly.
Made my first meal- cubed steak with French onion soup, a packet of Au jus Garvey, and A1 sauce. Pressure cooked it for 20 min let the pressure released naturally for 8 min then a quick release. OMG should have let it do its natural release longer as I had quite a mess with the gravy spurting out the release valve- walls, cabinets, and counter top. After this little volcano eruption, I served the dish with home made garlic mashed potatoes. I must say it was delicious- you could cut the meat with a fork it was that tender. And to top it off, he loved it as he had a second helping. At the end of the meal he says with a grin “ that meal is a keeper”. Can you make beef stew?” Lol
so now I am searching for recipes that can be cooked in this 3qt instant pot. Most of the recipes I see are for a 6qt size. For those on QB who have this device, do you halve the 6qt recipes or do you need specific recipes for the smaller version?
thanks!,

suern3 07-22-2018 02:03 PM

If I were you, I would just do a Google search for 3 quart recipes. There is so much information out there now on Instant Pots, should find plenty. Probably also info on converting the size of the recipes. I have the 6 qt. although just two of us eating usually. We don't mind leftovers. Sorry to hear about your "volcano", have not experienced that either with instantpot or when I used a stove top pressure cooker. Also, info on converting between crockpots and instantpots.

Tiggersmom 07-22-2018 03:05 PM

Welcome to the Instant Pot life! I bought the 6 qt one for DH and me as we are retired and like suern3, love left overs.
I don't know about the recipes for the 3 qt but you will find lots of knowledge online about what's what.
Their is a Jackie and Amy that post regularly on line and they have some delicious looking recipes. They are now working for IP or with IP.
You will love the hard boiled/steamed eggs.

Stitchnripper 07-22-2018 03:21 PM

I have three instant pots one of them the mini. Just don't fill it more than half full. And yes, google for recipes. When I don't know which recipe to use and I have a taste for something, such as stew, or pork chops, I put "instant pot recipe stew" into google and get a lot to choose from and then go from there. You could add mini to that.

Next time when you release, just do it a bit at a time. I'm wondering if the mini has the ingredients closer to the lid. I've not had a situation like yours in the 6 quarts. I use the mini for rice and yogurt. And for hard boiled eggs.

I have two going tonight. Corn on the cob in one and 5 minute shrimp scampi paella in the other. I find that regular ears of corn don't fit that great in the mini. We are just two people but I started with the 6 quart.

Ginaky 07-22-2018 03:46 PM

Check out https://thisoldgal.com/ She has lots and lots of recipes for pressure cookers (the Instant Pot specially). Every recipe I have fixed has been really good. She also has a Facebook page. I have a 6 quart and an 8 quart. I use the 8 quart mostly--I even use her recipe for Banana Nut Bread and cook it in my Instant Pot

maviskw 07-23-2018 09:36 AM

Maria Wojcik Emmerich has a book out for Instant Pot with Keto recipes.

JanelleTrebuna 07-23-2018 10:06 AM

I have a 6qt and an 8qt, and dh just mentioned buying a 3qt for our trailer.
I would think you could half any of the 6qt recipes, just make certain you have enough liquid to pressurize so contents don't stick to the bottom and burn.
Facebook has a lot of Instant Pot groups. :)

Janelle

JanelleTrebuna 07-23-2018 10:27 AM

My favorite thing to make is hard boiled eggs. I use the steam setting and cook for 14 minutes on a rack with 1 cup of water in the bottom; then natural pressure release, followed by 7 minute soak in ice water. Perfect and peel easily every time. :) I also make all kinds of stews and lots of Indian dishes too. I like using the spice packets at the grocery store like "Street Kitchen". I think pretty much any crockpot recipe can be converted over.

Janelle

MaggieLou 07-23-2018 11:22 AM

There is also a FB group for just the mini instant pot.

quiltsRfun 07-23-2018 11:31 AM

We have a 6-qt. Insta Pot but I wish it was smaller for just the two of us. I was never afraid of my pressure cooker which was a wedding gift 49 years ago. I found it great especially for smaller pot roasts and it’s the only way I cook beef stew. Just used my regular stew recipe and modified the cooking time according to the pressure cooker instructions.