Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Corned Beef and Cabbage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/corned-beef-cabbage-t310081.html)

Iceblossom 03-10-2020 07:49 AM

Corned Beef and Cabbage

My hubby had never had it before he lived with me and just loves it and now calls March "Corned Beef Month". I don't do anything fancy, basically I just take it out of the package and simmer it on the stove top for a couple of hours. We like the brands with the spice packet and add a bay leaf and a couple more peppercorns. I take the meat out once it is tender and then turn up the heat a bit to cook the red potatoes and cabbage quarters.

The biggest clue for success I've found is buying a good corned beef. The ones I get from Costco are nice, the ones I get from Safeway... not always so good. Look at the amount of liquid/preservative contained in the weight. Some of them are so injected they come out like lace once they are cooked.

My BFF cooks her in the oven, she covers the corned beef with basic mustard and brown sugar and then bakes it, it is the best I ever had and what is what started me eating it, didn't grow up with corned beef either.

My neighbors make it more like a soup... never had it that way before and it was ok but not my favorite even though what I really like is the cabbage and potatoes.

Any other good hints or techniques?

tranum 03-10-2020 10:04 AM

I make “Bangers & Mash”. Brown the sausage (similar to Brats) and serve on top of mashed potatoes. Top all with brown gravy. Creamed cooked cabbage will be good with it. I ordered it in Ireland.

We also had “the Full Irish Breakfast”. You get a serving of beans (like pork & beans) and “rashers” ( bacon uncured - I think) with the eggs, fried potatoes, toast, black or white pudding.

nativetexan 03-10-2020 11:54 AM

Not something i eat a lot but if someone is making it, i'm on my way over. :)

sandilee 03-10-2020 08:37 PM

I always use the crock pot. Potatoes/carrots on bottom along with half an onion & bay leaf. Half way thru add the cabbage and let it simmer more. We live a couple of miles from the horseradish festival. So, naturally I put horseradish on the meat as I eat it. I brought a couple of corn beefs last week to fix later cause they're not as common after St. Patricks day.

jmoore 03-11-2020 02:43 AM

I braise mine in the oven at 275 for 4 or 5 hours in beer (a good beer like an IPA or stout) a quarter cup of whiskey, garlic, pickling spice and caraway seed. I add carrots and red potatoes the last hour and serve with a variety of mustards. I get compliments every time.

Anniedeb 03-11-2020 05:40 PM

Timely! Just texted my son to set up a meal time. I pretty much do exactly as Iceblossom does. I add carrots and onions to the potatoes and cabbage. DH also likes sauerkraut on the side. Corned beef freezes well, so we usually stock up so we can do one on the grill, covered with a mustard crust. No complaints whichever way it is cooked!

quilterj 03-15-2020 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8367732)
I make “Bangers & Mash”. Brown the sausage (similar to Brats) and serve on top of mashed potatoes. Top all with brown gravy. Creamed cooked cabbage will be good with it. I ordered it in Ireland.

We also had “the Full Irish Breakfast”. You get a serving of beans (like pork & beans) and “rashers” ( bacon uncured - I think) with the eggs, fried potatoes, toast, black or white pudding.

We cooked ours and cooked it in the crock pot this year. Cooked it on high for about 5 hrs. Then on low a couple of hrs. Nothing fancy just some water and the packet it came with. It came apart in shreds was really good. Made fried cabbage as no one this year wanted potatoes. Made it today for family gathering as we all work during 5he week. And also some rice. Grandkids love rice so we also had some of that with some broccoli.

Irishrose2 03-15-2020 08:00 PM

For years I boiled mine like Iceblossom and others, but several years ago, I baked one low and slow on a rack over water or beer with mustard and brown sugar added after it's done (broil the top). It's comes out so tender and seems to have more flavor because it isn't boiled away. Carrots and potatoes are cooked in some of the broth with added water. Cabbage is browned in butter, then finished in more broth. My daughter does hers in her Instapot, but I'm afraid to try - what if it's not as good as the baked one?

Rff1010 03-18-2020 04:05 AM

I braised mine last year in the oven and it was spectacular. This year not so much. Maybe I'll try that longer slower approach.

maybe now that the panic buying is over ill get another for the freezer.

Teen 03-18-2020 08:38 AM

I dislike corn beef and cabbage but hubbie's loves it so, once a year in March, I make it for him. I made this yesterday and slow cook on stove top in a dutch oven, adding potatoes, carrots and onions in the beginning and the cabbage the last hour. I follow the recipe from All Recipes. He was in heaven and the meal leftovers get me out of cooking for the next 2 days. I made tacos for me. Lol..