Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Crock pot mashed potatoes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/crock-pot-mashed-potatoes-t234002.html)

jbud2 11-04-2013 03:56 PM

Crock pot mashed potatoes

I had mashed potatoes served in a crock pot that were sort of garlic-y, sort of cheesey and very good.
Anyone have a recipe they could share please?

Treasureit 11-04-2013 04:16 PM

I have the recipe somewhere...but basically you cook your potatoes in water as usual...BUT add a couple cloves of garlic to the water. Drain and put in crock pot....add milk, S&P, butter and mash and cook on warm until you want to serve it. I don't add cheese, but if you do...I would add it later when ready to serve. (you throw away the garlic).

QuiltE 11-04-2013 08:33 PM

I've never done them in the crock, though the description which TreasureIt has given, sounds very similar to the "Night Before Potatoes" I do in the oven. The cheese is cream cheese and some sour cream as well. I do these when I entertain, as it saves that last minute mashing with potatoes up to your armpit! To say the least about the fussing while boiling, and the extra dishes.

I'm sure the recipe would work just fine in the crock pot. Let Google beyour friend and you will have more than enough crockpot possibilities to keep you going for quite awhile!

Needles 11-05-2013 06:44 PM

I make crockpot potatoes for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I cheat though and buy the already mashed in the dairy case. Just the traditional ones, no added iingredients. I use 3 cartons of potatoes, start with a very large bowl and one carton. Add 1 stick of butter, 8 oz block of cream cheese and 8 oz carton of sour cream. Mix it all in with my hand held electric mixer. Then add some garlic powder. Add next carton of potatoes, mix well and add more garlic if you like, then add carton 3 and again, mix well. Add a bit of salt, mix well then pour all into the crockpot. All three cartons are mixed well with other ingredients. Turn on high for an hour, then cook on low until ready to dine. I usually start them by 9 am and we eat around 4. They stay moist and delicious through the meal. We usually have 15-20. They are REALLY good. I don't add a lot of salt, the other additives give them lots of flavor and pepper can be added by those who want it. We have a couple with health issues in the family and they can't eat pepper!

JeanieG 11-05-2013 11:06 PM

Here is a recipe that I have used for several years. My kids and grandkids love it! Of course I have to triple the recipe!!!

Slow-Cooked Garlic Smashed Potatoes

No peeling, no boiling! Just add potatoes to the slow cooker with the other ingredients, and mash them a few hours later!

3 lb small red potatoes
4 ea garlic cloves
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chives & onion cream cheese
1/4 cup milk, (1/4 to 1/2)

1. Halve or quarter potatoes as necessary to make similar-sized pieces. Place in 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add finely chopped garlic, oil, salt and water; mix well to coat all potato pieces.

2. Cover; cook on High setting 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender.

3. With fork or potato masher, mash potatoes and garlic. Stir in cream cheese until well blended. Stir in enough milk for soft serving consistency. Serve immediately, or cover and hold in slow cooker on Low setting up to 2 hours.

Servings: 14
Yield: 7 cups

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Suzette316 11-06-2013 04:00 AM

Oooh, Jeanie, that recipe sounds so easy and so yummy!! I am definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!! :)

WMUTeach 11-06-2013 11:26 AM

Just copied the recipe. It looks sooooooo yummy.

LavenderBlue 11-06-2013 03:06 PM

JeanieG: Wow, Y.U.M.M.Y Thanks for sharing with us.

Sandygirl 11-06-2013 03:51 PM

Sounds like a recipe my husband makes....just add some sliced up salami !

sandy

IBQUILTIN 11-06-2013 05:21 PM

From the sounds of that recipe, you could use the same recipe that you would for fully loaded twice baked potatoes, only do them in the crockpot and not have to do the second bake. One of our favorite meals around here