Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   crock pot/slow cooker chicken recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/crock-pot-slow-cooker-chicken-recipes-t233926.html)

QuiltE 11-04-2013 07:03 AM

SparkysMom ... Good plan on the freezer meals!

AirWick ... perhaps you could divide the work up and let your DDs do the freezer prep when they have time, and then you can look after the final "cooking"!

Another extremely easy and delicious crock meal ........... Spare Ribs! :)

Jakers1 11-04-2013 07:52 AM

I make spare ribs in the crock pot - to a point. I cut the ribs into 2-3 rib hunks. I put them in the crock pot with a cup of barbeque sauce mixed with about 1/2 cup water. I cook the ribs on low until they are almost done, about 4 hours. I take them out and put them in the oven in one layer, with more sauce to finish them. They could also be grilled, as they are mostly cooked at this time. If desired, you can rub the ribs first with the rub of your choice.

meanmom 11-04-2013 04:20 PM

I make salsa chicken a little bit differently. I throw in frozen chicken breasts. Pour in some salsa and a can of drained black beans. Cook all day. Add 8 oz of cream cheese just before serving. Shred the chicken and serve as tacos or over rice. Sometimes I add taco seasoning or ranch dressing mix.

Tothill 11-04-2013 04:37 PM

Someone beat me to the suggestion of a jar of salsa with chicken. It is great with a boneless pork shoulder too.

Split pea soup is great in the crock pot you do not need to worry about it scorching.

Cheaters risotto takes just a few hours and tastes great without standing at the stove stirring forever.

Of course chili is lovely too on cooler days.

lovelyl 11-05-2013 05:54 AM

I use frozen chicken breasts, throw in a jar of apricot jelly, a little garlic, a little ginger - and you have apricot chicken. I cook on low for about 8 hours or high for about 5 or 6 hours.

thimblebug6000 11-05-2013 06:34 AM

Hmm... like the antipasto & feta cheese idea, we'll see what's left of the jar after our brunch today and maybe try this.

thimblebug6000 11-08-2013 08:21 AM

QuiltE I used your idea last night. I put chunks of carrots & onions on the bottom and four chicken thighs bone in with skin on and then topped them with about 2 TBSP each of antipasto. Cooked on low for about 6 hours. Before eating topped with the feta until melted, it was delicious served over rice, and the house smelled wonderful when we got home for dinner. Thanks for these great suggestions!

tessagin 11-08-2013 08:26 AM

Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by sewbern (Post 6385547)
Here is one that is a favourite:
Cola Chicken Recipe

This Cola Chicken recipe contains 286 calories and 2 grams of fat per serving.
What You Need
• 1 cup cola (not diet)
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast

What To Do
1. Wash and pat dry chicken. Salt and pepper to taste.

2. Place chicken into crockpot with onion slices on top.

3. Add cola and ketchup.

4. Cover; cook on low 6-8 hours.

(I usually cut up a small whole chicken, also removing the skin.)

http://www.allcrockpotrecipes.com/me...lachicken.shtm

The link has lots of recipies!

tessagin 11-08-2013 08:46 AM

For those who don't have a crock pot. Many years ago a client of mine gave me a recipe for company stew. I used a very lean meat or you can use packaged stew meat. In my case it was a 3# piece of London Broil (on sale). Just cut the meat in the size pieces you like (I use 1-1 1/2 inch pieces). In a roasting pan with a lid, I put the meat in (don't have to brown at all goes in raw. You can use fresh, frozen or canned veggies whatever you have on hand or want. If using canned dump the whole can juice and all. No need to thaw the frozen veggies. After all the veggies, I added a can of beef broth, beef granules, onion soup mix. Season how you want but go easy since some of the canned and frozen veggies have some sodium. I throw in garlic and celery. Makes a lot. In the oven at 275 for about 3-5 hours and the hardest part is to keep from checking on it because of the delicious aroma. I only make this when I know someone is going to be home. I never leave the stove/oven on and leave the house. I also have to leave a note "Do Not Open oven door". One last note. I prefer the fresh potatoes versus the frozen. The most time consuming is cleaning any veggies (potatoes, carrots, celery stalks). Outcome is great.

raedar63 11-09-2013 05:33 AM

Chicken breast , can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, cook just the two then serve with rice or mashed potatoes . I myself do not eat this because I stay away from things like caned soups but my family loves it .
I have a rice cooker that has a timer on it I use it all the time for many crock pot recipes I use .