Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Crockpot Granola (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/crockpot-granola-t316636.html)

tranum 10-17-2021 03:59 PM

Crockpot Granola

I was skeptical but it really works.
Combine in mixing bowl & pour into crockpot that has been sprayed

5 cups old fashioned raw oatmeal
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flaked or shaved coconut
1/8 tsp salt

Leave cover slightly ajar. To be sure it stays open, use a folded towel to hold cover up. Cook 5 hours or until Golden brown. Stir now & then. If you like darker granola then add some cooking time.

Mkotch 10-18-2021 02:03 AM

This sounds super! I'm wondering if you add nuts? Usually, I add raisins or craisins to my granola after it comes out of the oven. Would you do that also?

tranum 10-18-2021 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch (Post 8514049)
This sounds super! I'm wondering if you add nuts? Usually, I add raisins or craisins to my granola after it comes out of the oven. Would you do that also?

Yes I would.

farmquilter 10-18-2021 06:47 AM

For the oil, can I use coconut oil. I have everything to make this and just have not found the right recipe. I want to give your method a try and use coconut oil.
Thank you for the recipe.
Do we use high or low setting.

NZquilter 10-18-2021 07:44 AM

I've got to try this! I love homemade granola!

QuiltE 10-18-2021 03:36 PM

Granola Neophyte here .......what does one do with the finished product?
Eat by the handful? add to yogurt? and? or? :)

cheesecat 10-18-2021 03:52 PM

My favorite granola recipe is on the site Jenny Can Cook. It only take three tbsp oil and you bake it in the oven til toasty brown and can then add dried fruits. we use it as a breakfast cereal with milk or yogurt, it is also good over ice cream. Most of her recipes are very easy to follow and lower in fat and sugar.

tranum 10-18-2021 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter (Post 8514104)
For the oil, can I use coconut oil. I have everything to make this and just have not found the right recipe. I want to give your method a try and use coconut oil.
Thank you for the recipe.
Do we use high or low setting.

so sorry - use LOW setting.

tranum 10-18-2021 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 8514007)
I was skeptical but it really works.
Combine in mixing bowl & pour into crockpot that has been sprayed

5 cups old fashioned raw oatmeal
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flaked or shaved coconut
1/8 tsp salt

Leave cover slightly ajar. To be sure it stays open, use a folded towel to hold cover up. Cook 5 hours or until Golden brown. Stir now & then. If you like darker granola then add some cooking time.

LOW setting (sorry I missed that important point)

tranum 10-19-2021 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by cheesecat (Post 8514221)
My favorite granola recipe is on the site Jenny Can Cook. It only take three tbsp oil and you bake it in the oven til toasty brown and can then add dried fruits. we use it as a breakfast cereal with milk or yogurt, it is also good over ice cream. Most of her recipes are very easy to follow and lower in fat and sugar.

thanks - I’m going to try her recipe with less oil