Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Delicious Banana Bread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/delicious-banana-bread-t258136.html)

piepatch 12-13-2014 03:22 AM

Delicious Banana Bread

This banana bread is so moist and delicious, and makes nice goodie gifts for the holidays.

Banana Bread

INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray one 9"x5" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

2. In medium bowl, blend together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and bananas.

3. Sift into a large mixing bowl : the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt, and blend Add banana mixture and blend. Stir in pecans. Mix well, but do not over mix !

4. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top begins to brown too fast, cover with foil. ( I usually cover the last 20 minutes ).

NOTE: I also bake this in a pan that holds 8 mini loaves, and the cook time is approx. 30 minutes. I spray the pan with Pam before pouring in the batter. I bake this more often in the mini loaf pan, especially over the holidays. The small individual loaves are very nice to add to a gift basket, and they cook faster ! The small pans are sometimes hard to find, but are more easily found around the holidays. To find them online, search for "8 cup mini loaf pan ".

maviskw 12-14-2014 07:43 AM

Looks like a delicious recipe, but I would cut the sugar at least in half. Bananas are sweet to begin with, and bread does not need to be so sweet. Most of us could probably cut back on the sugar.

SewExtremeSeams 12-14-2014 02:30 PM

Thanks. I will have to try your recipe.

bakermom 12-14-2014 02:58 PM

Sounds great! I love banana bread! for Christmas I use my favorite recipe and stir in chocolate chips and candied cherries and give as gifts

rjwilder 12-14-2014 04:44 PM

Looks yummy, I'm for full on sugar, white flour and the fat from the buttermilk and veg oil. It's the holiday season, enjoy, laugh, love and share good food and good times. Go back to healthy eating in January.

nanacc 12-14-2014 07:30 PM

Have mine in the oven. Very similar to your recipe, but makes more. I have six small Christmas gift loaf pans and one medium loaf pan.

Geri B 12-14-2014 08:09 PM

I think,it's the buttermilk that makes the difference. I know in regular cooking if the recipe calls for buttermilk it is going to be extra good. I hate buttermilk, but if a recipe calls for some, I will buy a quart, use what I need to, then pour the rest down the drain......

Doggramma 12-14-2014 09:03 PM

I have overripe bananas in the refrigerator and I'm going to try this tomorrow! It looks good. I keep powdered buttermilk in the refrigerator, so that makes it easy to mix some with water when a recipe needs buttermilk.

Sassylass 12-15-2014 04:45 AM

I made this yesterday and YES this is delicious!! A real keeper....thank you for sharing...

janjj 12-15-2014 08:26 AM

Buttermilk is good in many things.
I use the powdered buttermilk. just sift it in with the dry ingredients after opening the can store in refrigerator. Keeps well.
just remember to add water for the amount of liquid asked for.