Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Desert ideas for a baby shower (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/desert-ideas-baby-shower-t270804.html)

Grammie Sharon 10-07-2015 03:11 AM

Desert ideas for a baby shower

I'm having a baby shower for my daughter and would like to do a desert bar instead of a cake. The shower theme is woodland animals. that is how she is going to decorate the baby's room. Does anyone have any ideas for some small finger food type of treats? One idea I saw was acorns made out of chocolate kiss with a vanilla wafer. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Maggiemay 10-07-2015 04:00 AM

I was at a wedding recently where they had a dessert bar. There were small cupcakes made in mini muffin pans and small fruit tarts make in regular cupcake pans. They had an assortment of cookies too.

jmoore 10-08-2015 03:09 AM

I'm helping with a dessert bar at my son's wedding in a couple of weeks. We are doing homemade brownie bites and miniature lemon cookies, blueberry mini cupcakes, whoopie pies, cream puffs (Sam's club) with chocolate sauce, and a tray of fresh fruit. I think we'll pretty much have all the flavors covered.

zozee 10-08-2015 03:27 AM

Mini chocolate eclairs kind of resemble logs. Pirourines do as well (the wafer sticks that are cream filled). I would Pinterest for ideas.

Vat 10-08-2015 04:21 AM

A friend of mine and I did an open house a few years ago and did an entire cookie table. The cookies can be made ahead of time and they keep well, saving time later for other things. Put them on trays and lifts to keep the table interesting (with pretty cloths, creating a tablescape. Also you could add a nice bowl (in the center of the table)of fruit, colorful. Simple and FUN FUN ! ! !

Tartan 10-08-2015 04:34 AM

On Pinterest I saw a watermelon hedgehog/porcupine. The watermelon was cut off on top behind the head and the watermelon was cubed up inside. The cubes all had the round toothpicks stuck in to give the hedgehog/porcupine its quills.

nwm50 10-08-2015 06:32 AM

And I'm getting hungry........

lawsonmugs 10-08-2015 09:19 AM

Also on Pinterest I seen a fruit Baby in a basinet so cute. The basinet was a watermelon carved out like a basket with a handle. and the baby's head was an orange I think The baby was covered in a blanket of melon fruit balls. Looked like a quilt kind of.

Angellight 10-08-2015 10:12 AM

Some of the items I have made that would fit your bill, although not with a "cute" representation, are the Reese's cookies. Peanut butter cookie dough rolled into a 1" ball, cooked in a mini-muffin tin, and when they come out of the oven, a mini-Reese's cup stuck into the cookie. This recipe was on the Reese's package a few years ago, and is one of our favorites. Also, tried the Rollo pretzels. Take the "square" brand of pretzels, (sorry the name escapes me) place one on a lined cookie sheet. Place a Rollo caramel on top of each one. Melt in the oven about 3-4 minutes, and top with another pretzel. If you like salted caramel, this one kind of fits the bill.
I have also done the miniature cupcakes, with great success. You can google recipes and come up with many flavors. I worked for a lady who made the "Oreo truffles", and they were good. Oreo cookies crumbled fairly fine, mixed with butter I believe, and covered with white chocolate.
For my middle sons wedding reception, the bride wanted a cookie reception, so we made about 10-15 different types of cookies, and set them out as suggested on different pretty trays and that was lovely.
Good Luck,
Susan

Latrinka 10-08-2015 11:10 AM

I make my own trail mix, looks good, and is good! I use a can of mixed nuts, the deluxe ones, raisins, dried pineapple chunks, and M&M's. You could put in a pretty bowl with a serving spoon, or put individual sized servings in those tiny decorated cupcake paper cups.