Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Do You Like Surimi (Fake Crab) ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/do-you-like-surimi-fake-crab-t312850.html)

tropit 10-20-2020 07:03 AM

Do You Like Surimi (Fake Crab) ???

I lived in Hawaii as a teenager and I ate a lot of surimi, which was very popular and usually served in saimin, salads, etc. I love it from a sentimental point of view. It's also really cheap, so when I see it in the grocery stores and usually pick up a tray of it for under $2. I like snacking on it as is, but I'll put it into casseroles, soups, salads, sandwiches...just abut everything.

IceLeopard 10-20-2020 08:45 AM

I like it cold for snacking. Don't care much for it in hot food.

Cheshirepat 10-20-2020 09:27 AM

I can totally see being attached to it for sentimental reasons...but I'm afraid growing up on the other coast, I have a preference for true crab! We were spoiled growing up with a *lot* of fresh seafood available. I've come to accept it as part of the sushi world, though, and don't mind it mixed in with some kind of sushi roll.

Onebyone 10-20-2020 11:07 AM

I can't eat crab or lobster, my fingers swell but I can eat shrimp with no swelling. I use to catch crab at St. Jekyll island GA and feed them to my cat. Loved to go to the pier and put out the crab baskets. We bought chicken back from the bait and tackle shop there. Thanks for bringing back good memories for me!

tropit 10-21-2020 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8426316)
I can't eat crab or lobster, my fingers swell but I can eat shrimp with no swelling. I use to catch crab at St. Jekyll island GA and feed them to my cat. Loved to go to the pier and put out the crab baskets. We bought chicken back from the bait and tackle shop there. Thanks for bringing back good memories for me!

Surimi is not made out of crab. It's made out of white fish. Maybe you can eat it without any problems.

tropit 10-21-2020 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirepat (Post 8426299)
I can totally see being attached to it for sentimental reasons...but I'm afraid growing up on the other coast, I have a preference for true crab! We were spoiled growing up with a *lot* of fresh seafood available. I've come to accept it as part of the sushi world, though, and don't mind it mixed in with some kind of sushi roll.

Well...yeah...I love real crab too and we have lots of it here, on our coast, but it's expensive.

Annaquilts 10-21-2020 07:14 AM

Yes, I like it and also buy it to snack on, make crab salad or sushi rolls. Like another poster I do not like it as much cooked.

Iceblossom 10-21-2020 09:10 AM

I like some brands more than others, but when I had to go low carb I found I can't have much any more.

Darn.

SusieQOH 10-21-2020 11:00 AM

I do like it. When you can't have the real thing it's nice to have.

Jingle 10-26-2020 02:28 PM

I thaw it and eat on salad. A nice touch.