Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Does anyone have a recipe for apple pie/recommend what type of apples to use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/does-anyone-have-recipe-apple-pie-recommend-what-type-apples-use-t172092.html)

almostfree 12-20-2011 08:01 PM

My husband is an excellent pie baker, and he always uses Granny Smith apples.

arkansasquilter123 12-22-2011 12:31 PM

Check out Grandma Ople's Apple Pie on allrecipes.com. That is AWESOME. I'm making one tomorrow.

CindyA 12-29-2011 05:18 PM

My best pies have had a variety of apples in them. A couple of Granny Smith and maybe a Red Delicious and a Gala.

Gloryb 12-29-2011 07:10 PM

Northern Spy...They have the most wonderful flavor and texture and have set the standard for pie baking for many years. Try them, you'll fall in love!

Grace creates 12-29-2011 07:13 PM

I like a variety of apples too. Granny Smith has a nice tart flavor, golden delicious hold their shape and taste sweet, macintosh melts down nicely and makes a sweet syrup in the pie and I always put in some other apples as well. When I lived in NY I lived near apple orchards and they always mixed the apples in their pies and the smell was so good. I always made my own pie after picking apples at the orchard. It reminds me of my favorite memories.

ThreadHead 12-31-2011 05:56 AM

Apple Pie

Originally Posted by athomenow (Post 4783327)
I like some granny smith in my pies because of the tartness. I don't like really sweet things so adding them gives it an edge. The rest of the recipe is similar to those above. I also add some lemon juice to the apples while peeling to keep them from discoloring.

I second the Granny Smith Apples.

violets4me123 12-31-2011 02:23 PM

I have been craving apple pie@!!!! So, this evening will be making an apple pie. Thanks for the recipes. Will be using granny smith apples.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!! GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU AND YOURS.

luvTooQuilt 01-01-2012 01:54 AM

we have an Arkansas Black apple tree that produces ALOT of apples... so I use them for my pies.. Nice and crisp and sweet..

Arkansas Blacks ( enough peeled, cored and sliced to fit 9inch pie pan)
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/8 cup of corn starch

mix all together except the butter.. till slices are coated.. pour in pie crust.. cut butter in small pieced and drop randomly on apples.. cover with top of pie crust.. pinch edges shut & make slits in crust for steam ventilation..sprinkle pie crust with a lil bit of sugar crystals... Cover edges with foil to prevent from over browning.. bake at 375 for 15min then turn down oven to 350 and cook for another 30 min. remove foil and bake another 15 min... Allow to cool for at least 20 min before slicing..

YUM YUM...

JJean 01-03-2012 09:38 AM

I like Gravenstein apples the best but use Granny Smith apples when they are not available. I think any fresh tart apple is good. The US apple crop is harvested in the Fall.

quilter1 01-03-2012 09:57 AM

I use whatever apples I have in the fridge, just adjust the sugar amount accordingly. A sweet apple needs a bit less sugar. I do think that a mixture of 2 or 3 kinds of apples makes the tastiest pie. My DH loves a piece of old cheddar on top too, I like mine plain.