Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Dumplings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/dumplings-t273390.html)

tranum 12-16-2015 01:45 PM

Dumplings

This is how I make dumplings but I don't think they are tender enough. What shall I do different ?

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 whisked egg
Enough milk to make a stiff dough

hamchips88 12-16-2015 03:07 PM

i use bisquick for my dumplings and bisquits

Chester the bunny 12-16-2015 03:16 PM

Here is my recipe for fluffy dumplings.

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
approx 1 cup milk (maybe a bit more if the dough is too stiff)

Drop by heaping spoonfuls over the stew and cover. Boiling/simmering/steaming for 10 minutes.
Absolutely NO peeking.

barny 12-16-2015 03:29 PM

I think you need to add more milk to make the dough sticky.

tranum 12-16-2015 06:42 PM

Thanks ! I will give it a try tomorrow.

Tartan 12-16-2015 07:02 PM

I don't measure but about about 2 cups flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt mixed together and I cut in with a fork about 4-5 tablespoons of Becel margarine, then I add enough milk to make a sticky mixture. The mixture is scooped up with a tablespoon and slid into boiling broth with another spoon. Once the surface is covered with dumplings, I put a tip fitting lid on the pot and reduce the heat to minimum. I leave the pot 20 minutes without lifting the lid until dumplings are done.
Make sure you have a good 2 inches of headspace in the pot for the dumplings to rise without popping the top off the pot.

sassy granny 12-16-2015 07:49 PM

Everybody raves about my dumplings. Years ago we, in our neighborhood , had quiltings every Monday at one of the neighbors house and 8 to 12 of more ladies came to quilt . They rotated from one person to another each week and the person of the house always cooked a big dinner and chicken and dumplings was always at the head of the menu, it was called a quilting dinner. Anyway I was young then and didn't know how to make dumplings and one particular lady was a real dumpling maker and she always had to make the dumplings for the ones that didn't know how. She taught me how and this is how I make them to this day. I have to make big batchs now but I started out with the 2 cup measure. I use 2 cups self rising flour, a scant 1/4 cup canola oil, you can use butter or shortening, and cold water, enough to make a good pliable dough. I do not put eggs or milk in my dumplings. Turn the dough out on well floured board or I use wax paper, and roll out pretty thin, unless you like a thick fluffy dumpling. I then cut strips across the short side of the dough and pick up a strip at a time and break off bite size pieces and drop in the boiling broth. Keep pushing the dough just dropped down to the bottom of the kettle. When you get all dropped, turn down the heat a bit and let cook until done, about 15 or 20 minutes. I hope this helps.

mermaid 12-17-2015 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by tranum (Post 7405792)
This is how I make dumplings but I don't think they are tender enough. What shall I do different ?

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 whisked egg
Enough milk to make a stiff dough

Your recipe is what my granny called
slickers'. You need to add some sort of shortening(butter) for tenderness, to make the dough "short"

Linda1 12-17-2015 04:11 AM

I got my recipe for dumpling from a pastors wife many years ago. 1 cup SR flour, 1cup AP flour, 1 egg and enough chicken broth to make the dough. Roll out on floured surface as thin as you want, cut and drop in boiling chicken broth

Vat 12-17-2015 05:01 AM

be sure not to over work them.