Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Egg substitute (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/egg-substitute-t163735.html)

Carol in WI 10-28-2011 12:20 PM

I also have a granddaughter that is allergic to eggs - along with just about everything else except fruit/vegetables and rice flour. I have used ener G egg replacer with good results. Good luck with this. My GD lives in Texas so we only have to scramble for the special foods 1-2x a year.

Carol

LKopinski 10-28-2011 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by LKopinski
I'll check with a friend who uses egg substitute to see if she has a favorite brand. I do know that she has success in baking when using egg substitute if the recipe calls for one or two eggs. She doesn't try recipes with more than two eggs since her experience over time has been disappointing.

I checked with my friend and she also uses the Ener G Egg Replacer product. Hope you have success with your baking this season.

LindaaJR 10-29-2011 04:22 PM

Why don't you see if you can find a contact number or email address on the website and ask the manufacturer? Good luck, take care.
Linda

My time 10-29-2011 08:50 PM

My sister has used this product and says it's ok. She prefers the flax mix that was posted earlier. Have not tried it myself though.

quilt1950 10-30-2011 05:07 AM

I think I'm going to try this. If I don't like the results, I can use the flax seed in granola. If I use the "Efficient Method", can I store the mixture in the refrigerator for awhile? Do you know how long it would keep?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I have used the flax seed replacement in all my baked goods and never had any problem with it. I wouldn't attempt to make an angel food cake with it or anything but for regular baking I see no difference. Here is the recipe I use:

Flax Gel Egg Replacement
You'll need whole (not ground!) flax seeds, and some cheesecloth (a strainer won't work).
Quick Method:
Use 1 part seeds to 4 parts water. Simmer for 5-7 min. Proceed as described
under "Straining". For 1 egg, use 4 tsp. seeds to 1/3 cup water.
Efficient Method:
Use 1 part seeds to 12 parts water, e.g. 4 tsp. seeds per cup of water.
Soak from 1 hour to overnight, whatever is convenient for you.
Simmer for 20 min, and be sure to let gel cool before straining.
Straining
Allowing the gel to cool with the seeds in it makes it thicker. When thick and cool, pour into a bowl lined with cheesecloth. Gently squeeze out the gel, until the cloth contains only seeds. Compost the seeds, and use the gel.
To replace 1 egg, use a scant 1/4 cup gel

ncredbird 10-30-2011 07:22 AM

You can store in the fridge and I have no idea how long. I have kept it for as much as a week but usually make it up in small enough batches that I use it fairly quickly. Ann

Carol's Quilts 10-31-2011 10:05 AM

Rather than using an egg substitute, why not just look for recipes for eggless cookies? I have several that I always made for Christmas for my grandson when he was allergic to eggs. Thankfully, he outgrew it, but I would always feel so bad when his 4 brothers and sisters enjoyed Christmas cookie treats and he would get a cracker! The recipes I used are very good, everyone enjoys them and I felt great giving the little guy a special treat.

Let me know if you would like to have them. I'll be glad to post them.

Carol's Quilts 10-31-2011 10:06 AM

Rather than using an egg substitute, why not just look for recipes for eggless cookies? I have several that I always made for Christmas for my grandson when he was allergic to eggs. Thankfully, he outgrew it, but I would always feel so bad when his 4 brothers and sisters enjoyed Christmas cookie treats and he would get a cracker! The recipes I used are very good, everyone enjoys them and I felt great giving the little guy a special treat.

Carol's Quilts 10-31-2011 10:06 AM

Oops! Sorry for the double post!

quilt1950 10-31-2011 10:30 AM

I would love to have these recipes. Thanks

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts