Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Fall Recipe -- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/fall-recipe-roasted-butternut-squash-soup-t154738.html)

Short an Sweet 09-22-2011 03:57 AM

saved the recipe, will be trying it out next week, if you have tried it, can you tell me if it is sweet? or savory?

kathiba194 09-22-2011 04:20 AM

Oh, this soup sounds so yummy. Can't wait to try it. :D

purrfectquilts 09-22-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
saved the recipe, will be trying it out next week, if you have tried it, can you tell me if it is sweet? or savory?

The more carrot you put it, the sweeter it is. The more herbs you put in the more savory it is.

The way I wrote up the recipe was for my older aunt and so I made it as balanced as I could (neither too sweet or too savory and no hot spices).

Also, when I make it for us, I never measure the vegetables, but just put what looks good to me for the amount of squash I have. For purposes of writing up the recipe for my aunt, I paid attention to what I was putting in and wrote down measurements.

My point is that you can add what you like and use some herbs if you want. We like a pinch of fresh chopped thyme and flat leaf parsley. One son likes cayenne pepper.

Short an Sweet 09-22-2011 04:48 AM

LOL very funny, cause cayenne is what I put in mine too, cool, the roasted squash sounds very good, so I will be trying yours next week, and thanks for the tip on the carrots, I didnt know that

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet

The more carrot you put it, the sweeter it is. The more herbs you put in the more savory it is.

The way I wrote up the recipe was for my older aunt and so I made it as balanced as I could (neither too sweet or too savory and no hot spices).

Also, when I make it for us, I never measure the vegetables, but just put what looks good to me for the amount of squash I have. For purposes of writing up the recipe for my aunt, I paid attention to what I was putting in and wrote down measurements.

My point is that you can add what you like and use some herbs if you want. We like a pinch of fresh chopped thyme and flat leaf parsley. One son likes cayenne pepper.

luvstoquilt 09-22-2011 07:14 AM

On my way to buy a Butternut Squash right now!!!! This sounds delicious!!!

Sassylass 09-22-2011 09:40 AM

Thank you!! This sounds like comfort food to me. Will be trying this one!

judi_lynne 09-22-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 large butternut squash
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (if you don’t want to use oil, then sauté the vegetables in some of the chicken broth)
½ cup diced onion
¼ cup diced celery
¼ cup diced carrot
1 cinnamon stick
Sea salt or low-sodium salt
Freshly ground black pepper
About 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
½ cup half and half or 1 spoon crème fraiche or sour cream or mascarpone cheese…optional

Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, rub cut edges with a wee bit of the olive oil, roast cut side down in 350 degree oven until soft. Let cool enough to handle, peel, and cut into chunks.

Meanwhile, sauté the vegetables until soft, but not browned. Let cool slightly.

Process vegetables, with a little of the broth in a blender in batches until smooth. Reheat soup with cinnamon stick until warm enough to eat. Do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with a splash of cream if desired. Good with French bread and a green salad.

I need a general idea as to how long it takes for the squash to soften.....this will be my first time cooking this and I can't wait...thanks for the recipe!! :)

ncredbird 09-22-2011 10:28 AM

The recipe as posted looks very similar to one I make but I always throw in some curry powder. Our son visited recently and had some of it and thought it was a whole different soup than the one he had grown up with and grown tired of. He has a whole new respect for it now. I did add some cayenne to it because he likes his food really spicy. It is wonderful either sweet or spicy. Ann in TN

purrfectquilts 09-22-2011 10:41 AM

Judi: How long it takes to roast is going to depend on how much you cut your squash up. I set the oven to about 350 to 375 degrees. Usually cut the squash in half, cut the top off and the bottom into 2 or 3 pieces. This gives me 4 or 5 pieces of squash. I don't peel until the roasting is done. Start checking with a fork or a knife at about 25 minutes. Probably will take 30 to 35 minutes before the skin and meat is soft enough to pierce easily.

If lazy, I just cut in half, remove the seeds, brush cut edges with butter or oil, turn cut side down and stick in oven. Never takes over 40 minutes or so.

Hope this helps.

judi_lynne 09-22-2011 10:53 AM

Yes, thank you very much!!! Can't wait to make it.