Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   fellowship dinner at church (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/fellowship-dinner-church-t52810.html)

ncsewer 07-06-2010 05:33 AM

Thanks everybody!

dixiechunk 07-06-2010 08:52 AM

Brazilian salad:

Drain and combine 1 (15oz) can each of white shoepeg corn, french cut green beans, and le seur peas. Add 1 c. each chopped onion and celery. Add either one can sliced black olives or one jar of pimentos.
In a sauce pan combine 1/2c. oil and 1/2c. apple cidar vinegar and 1 c. sugar. Bring to boil over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Let cool and pour over vegetable mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

Has a great sweet/sour taste. I took it to a 4th of July party and folks raved.

ejudy 07-06-2010 02:08 PM

I do the above veggie salad alot, but I use both regular corn and shoepeg corn. The dressing can be adjusted to taste of sweet/sour, and I only use about 1 Tbsp of oil - just enough to help it stick to everything. This is a favorite at my church.

Also, the cabbage and Ramen noodle salad. Chop 1/2 head of red and green cabbage (or all green, add slivered almonds and salted sunflower seeds, plus a package of the DRY Ramen Noodles crunched up. The dressing is the same as the above one only add the dry seasoning packet from the noodles to it. I like to wait and add the dry noodles just before serving (because I like the crunch), but it's good either way.

Either of these make a nice large salad, and need no refrigeration if in an air-conditioned building.

smtp5 07-07-2010 04:55 AM

Hash Brown Casserole

1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown
potatoes, thawed
1/2 cup melted butter
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of
chicken soup
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream 1/2 cup chopped onions(opitional)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup melted butter, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chopped onion, Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Place mixture in a 3 quart casserole dish.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute cornflakes in 1/4 cup melted butter, and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the casserole.
Bake covered in preheated oven for 40 minutes.

aneternalpoet 07-07-2010 05:09 AM

I have taken many potluck dishes to church , as well as this well requested recipe, which isn't even a recipe .. I make up several types of hand held burrito's - from veggie burritos ( using normal or not so normal veggies/cheese ) to fruit burritos.. I have found that most of the potlucks, people don't awlways bring main dishes, so burrito's are usually well recieved, especially for the little kids who like hand held foods..
Just a thought, now that I know what I will make for lunch today, lol!

aneternalpoet 07-07-2010 11:45 AM

Love this recipe, and do it at least once every 2 weeks just because we love it.. I often use regular peeled, and cubed potatoes when I do not have hash browns.. I add some green onions, too.. yummo, as Rachael Ray would say..

mary quite contrary 07-07-2010 11:49 AM

Can you take a crock pot? I always take calico beans and come home with an empty pot. If you'd like the recipe I can post it.

davis2se 07-07-2010 01:45 PM

I love to make a no mayo potato salad. Cook the potatoes as usual and cut into bit sized pieces in a large bowl. Chop 3 - 4 large cloves of garlic - actually mince very, very fine and add to potatoes. Add good quality olive - start with 1/4 cup and add from there as you think is necessary. Chop a large bunch of green onions, white and green part and add to potato bowl. Fry several pieces of bacon really crisp and crumble in. Stir well - add salt and pepper to taste, and cover. This recipe is supposed to sit out at room temperation for at least 2 hours, and just gets better the longer it sits.

cbuchanan 07-10-2010 01:50 PM

Copper Penny Carrots is perfect and fabulously delicious. Here's the recipe and it's easy.

2# carrots, peeled and sliced
1 green pepper, sliced thin
1 med. onion, sliced thin

Marinade:
1 can tomato soup
1/2 c. salad oil
1 c. sugar (I use Splenda)
3/4 c. vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard (or you can substitute prepared mustard)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce.

Cook carrots in salted water until just tender. (Don't cook soft) Mix the marinade well. (I use mixer or wire whisk.) Pour over veggies and refrigerate.

NOTE: There's nothing to spoil in the heat but would be best if served cold but good at room temp. Leftovers? Take them home. This will last in the frig 2-3 weeks and still be perfect.

Mariah 07-11-2010 03:39 PM

Deviled Eggs are always a hit around here. That or a big plate of Bread of some kind.
Have a fund day!
Mariah