Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   FODMAP Diet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/fodmap-diet-t294447.html)

Tothill 01-30-2018 10:17 PM

FODMAP Diet?

Next week I have to start the FODMAP Diet as recommended by a Dietician. Does anyone here have any experience with it? I had never heard of it before she brought it up as a possible treatment for IBS.

Right now the biggest challenge I am facing is that I can have no onion, garlic, leeks etc (the allium family). Other than breakfast I have one or another with almost every meal.

It is interesting what things are restricted and what are ok. Blackberries are no go, but raspberries ok. No cauliflower, limited broccoli, but cabbage ok.

I have a comprehensive handout from the hospital, but I am wondering what foods/recipes have worked for others. I brown bag it 5 days a week and two of those days I have to bring lunch and dinner. Right now, I treat myself to one of the meals those days. I will not be able to do that starting next week.

I am very happy that my usual breakfast of granola, berries and Almond Milk are ok on the diet.

mandyrose 01-31-2018 03:33 AM

Oh! WOW! i never heard of that diet i wouldn't know how to cook with out onion and garlic and on days i don't cook I'll have a sandwhich or salade and always with onions,i like your breakfast i'll have to give that a try.........good luck and hopes it helps with your ibs

quilterpurpledog 01-31-2018 03:53 AM

You have caused me to be curious about this concept. I hope it brings the desired outcome frojm a health standpoint. What we eat (or don't include in our diets) is so important to out health and, in general, we are so careless and can pay heavy health costs.

tropit 01-31-2018 06:54 AM

Good luck, I hope your health improves soon. I've never heard of this diet, but I do know that Buddhists do not eat onions, garlic and other alliums and some below ground vegetables. We have a large, Buddhist campus near us, "The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas," and they have a cafe, "Jyun Kang," inside their grounds. The food there is really good and it is prepared without those veggies. They put out a cookbook, called "Wok Wisely." They kindly gave me the book when I saw it on their bookshelf. (Of course, I made a donation to compensate.)

I'm not pushing religion here, but you may want to contact them about their cookbook, or at least look up Buddhist recipes online.

~ C

tropit 01-31-2018 07:26 AM

I forgot to add that if you are interested in their cookbook and are unable to obtain one, I can send you mine. I can just get another one the next time I visit their cafe. The book is pretty "Zen" and lists some unusual, Asian dishes. It's not everyone's cup of tea. If you are interested, just PM me.

~ C

cashs_mom 01-31-2018 11:38 AM

I've heard of FODMAP but have never used it. I got to a nutritionist who does functional medicine and she had me on an anti-inflammatory diet that helped a lot. I had the LEAP/MRT testing done in December and I'm now on a diet to heal my digestive system and help the leaky gut which is causing a lot of the sensitivities. I'd be interested to hear about FODMAP and how it works for you.

heronlady 01-31-2018 05:11 PM

My daughter has ibs and she has found that grapes are a no-no for her, and also yogurt. I don’t know that she was ever given the above mentioned diet but avoids things (or severely limits quantities or frequency) of foods that she knows will cause her “discomfort”. Sausage is another longstanding food for avoidance. Keeping a food diary is helpful, as everyone is unique.

Tothill 01-31-2018 08:08 PM

Tropit, thank you for your generous offer. I will check locally, I have a great book shop that can order books in for me. We eat quite a variety of foods in our home, we do not stick to typical meat and potatoes.

I am aware of a variety of triggers and avoid them, but it was when I mentioned the reaction I get to apples that the dietician lit up and suggested I try the FODMAP Diet to see if I can find other less obvious triggers. Apparently Apples can be a trigger for many.

I plan to do some meal prep this weekend. I do have a professional dinner event to attend next Friday, so I will not be able to be strict the first week, but I will do my best. I have to be away from home for a few days at the beginning of March, that will be a challenge too, but I will manage my best.

Battle Axe 02-01-2018 03:38 AM

I had my food allergies tested, and was quite surprised. The intensity of my allergies was also tested. I was mildly allergic to peaches and about 8 other common foods. Avoiding those things has not lost any weight, so I don't know.

Marcia

Onebyone 02-01-2018 06:29 AM

I was diagnosed as having IBS. After several Drs and each one had a different view of what I should or should not eat, I found one Dr. that said take Metamucil once a day and a Beeno before meals. I haven't had any problems since. LOL I think it's try this and see for most stomach issues.