Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Food (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/food-t24726.html)

Lisanne 08-27-2009 05:45 PM

I must say, I'm surprised that there are no topics on food (except for the cale decorating, which counts more as art). No recipes, no discussions of what people like.

I was thinking of this tonight because I stuck pieces of cinnamon bread in my meatloaf (which also had oats, onions, celery, yellow squash and cauliflower in it, along with some thyme and Worcestershire sauce - no tomatoes in this one). Only one slice, but the aroma is heavenly and it tastes great, too. Anyone else have favorite meatloaf variations?

And while I'm on the subject of food, how would I cook a pattypan squash? I don't want to do anything fancy, don't want to stuff it. I only have the one.

Anyone want to chime in with anything at all food related?

Gennynut 08-27-2009 05:49 PM

Don't know about the squash but I want the recipe for the meatloaf!! Sounds great. My main problem is that there is just 2 of us, my brother and I. Finding recipes for two can be a pain. Also need ideas for lunches

Lisanne 08-27-2009 06:05 PM

Gennynut, I live alone, so my cooking is just for one. It makes 4 - 6 servings (bigger pieces than usual because some of it is veggies), but they can be cut up, separated with wax paper and frozen.

Warning: I liked it, but I wouldn't say it's awesome. I've made a few meatloaves that have been awesome. This was good, very satisfying, but not award winning.

Since I was experimenting, there's no real recipe. I used:
-- a package of 90% lean ground beef (they always stick in more than a pound, so it was about 1 1/4 pounds)
-- 1/3 of an onion
-- 2 smaller ribs of celery, chopped into small pieces
-- 2/3 of a smallish yellow squash, again cut into small pieces
-- maybe 1/2 - 1 cup of mashed cauliflower
-- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
-- 1/3 cup oats
-- 1 large egg
-- the heel piece of a loaf of cinnamon bread
-- sprinkles of thyme

I sauteed the onion in a small amount of oil, then added the squash and celery. Didn't cook them fully, just gave them a head start.

I chopped up and boiled the half a head of cauliflower that I had on hand for 20 minutes (add to salted water after it reaches a boil). Then I drained and mashed it with a fork, then took some for the meatloaf and put the rest in a bowl in the fridge - okay, I ate some while I was waiting).

I beat the egg and put it in a mixing bowl, then added the meat, thyme, oats (the NON-instant kind, but I don't think it matters), pieces of cinnamon bread and mixed, then added all the veggies and mixed again, then put in in the loaf pan.

I put the loaf pan in a 350 oven for an hour - well, that was the plan but I forgot and was ten minutes late getting it out, but that didn't hurt it. The meat should be at least 160 degrees if you have a meat thermometer.

I've been adding veggies for a while now. It's one way to get them in painlessly. You can use ground turkey instead of beef, too. I try different variations from the standard tomato sauce based loaf.

It's fine cold for lunch, or in a sandwich.

I make a lot of bowl creations, like stirfries and chilis, and put them in individual serving microwaveable bowls, then freeze. These are great for lunches and lazy dinners. Just heat for 2 1/2 seconds in the nuker, stir and heat for another 1 - 2 minutes.

Minda 08-27-2009 06:06 PM

If you click on 'Back to home page' at the top of this page, and scroll down, you will find a section for recipes. I hope you will add your meatloaf recipe there. :D

Minda 08-27-2009 06:08 PM

I see you added the recipe while I was typing my last post. Thanks.

Lisanne 08-27-2009 06:11 PM

Oops. Thanks, Minda! Maybe one of our esteemed moderators will move this thread for me, please Patrice or Shadow?

nativetexan 08-28-2009 07:54 AM

my hubby made me a meatloaf sandwich with raisin bread. Not bad!!

patricej 08-28-2009 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Oops. Thanks, Minda! Maybe one of our esteemed moderators will move this thread for me, please Patrice or Shadow?

you read my mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

redquilter 08-28-2009 02:23 PM

I love pattypans and I just steam them whole or roast in the oven with a little olive oil.

Lisanne 08-28-2009 05:48 PM

Thanks, Patrice!

Redquilter, how do you roast with oil? Do you pour some in the roasting pan or spray it on? How hot do you make the oven and how long do you leave it in there? And do you eat the outside or just the inside?