Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Freezer Pickles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/freezer-pickles-t8743.html)

Elizabeth A. 07-04-2008 06:47 AM

Today I'm posting the recipe my Grandmother always used for freezer pickles. Just a note to keep in mind this recipe only requires that the pickles do not have wax on them (store bought) any other variety is perfect even slicing pickles!

Freezer Pickles
2 quarts unpealed cucumbers sliced (4-6 large cucumbers make a quart)
2 tablespoons salt
2 Medium onions sliced (I think she used vadalia's when she could get them)
Mix and let stand 2 hours
Meanwhile make syrup of 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 vinegar
Boil only until sugar is melted.
Remove from heat, when cool set aside in refrigerator.

Drain cumbers and onions and squeeze out all the water (they make their own from the salt). Pack into plastic containers. Pour the syrup over the pickles, cover with a lid and freeze. When I was older she used ziploc bags to take up less space in the freezer and served them up in her tupperware "pickle server".

1/2 teaspoon celery salt can be added to each container if desired.

It might sound odd but I PROMISE it's wonderful.

Minda 07-04-2008 06:55 AM

Elizabeth, Thanks for the recipe. I've made pickles using a very similar recipe, and I agree - they are wonderful.

Elizabeth A. 07-04-2008 07:01 AM

I can't imagine making them any other way. It's a down-home recipe! :D

jbsstrawberry 07-04-2008 08:16 AM

Ohh how neat! I've had freezer jam, never heard of freezer pickles before. They sound good!!

quiltwoman 07-04-2008 09:23 AM

Elizabeth,
I just picked 20 more cucumbers to add to my collection. Is your recipe sweet?? It sounds easy and I have an extra freezer. We just don't eat sweet or bread and butter pickles--we are a dill pickle family.

This recipe sounds do-able to me.
Thanks for posting!

Chele 07-04-2008 11:50 AM

I make refrigerator dill pickles. Boil equal amounts of water and vinegar. Add spices that you like (salt, dill, garlic cloves, mustard seeds, etc.). Pour cooled mixture over sliced cucumbers and store in refrigerator.

Elizabeth, I'm trying your whole wheat pie crust recipe today. It smells so good! We already ate the scraps! YUM!

Elizabeth A. 07-08-2008 07:35 AM

quiltwoman, my pickle recipe is for SWEET pickles. They've got a nice bite to them, but if you don't like sweet pickles, you shouldn't make mine. :(

Chele we eat the dough at my house too. :wink: My daughter just loves it. My husband.... Now he has never liked dough and once when I was making pies he picked up a piece forgetting what it was and well let's just say he still doesn't like dough! :roll: It was rather funny at the time, because I just watched him eat it not saying a word. It's nice dough to work with, doesn't give me any trouble like white pie crust. :D How did your pie turn out?

thimblebug6000 08-11-2008 04:33 PM

Hmm....probably should have paid closer attention....just bought the cukes today & thought I'd double check the directions....we're a dill pickle household too.....darn! Why didn't I notice no dill in these.....hmmm....will do a search for something that sounds just as easy without heating the house up too much.

live2teach 08-11-2008 05:03 PM

I don't guess I've ever heard of Freezer pickles...but they sound yummy.

Elizabeth A. 08-12-2008 06:21 AM

sorry thimblebug. Sandpat commented on them being like salad pickles. I'd say they are tang with a sweet bite.

I also removed the typo in the recipe that was brought to my attention so hopefully it is more clear now.