Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   freezing dtuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/freezing-dtuff-t223791.html)

girliegirl 06-19-2013 05:23 AM

Omg! QuiltE my grammy made this like every week... she would put in the big fry pan a stick of butter, slice and chop up a head of cabbage, cook it down til it is tender, salt and pepper to taste and she would boil a pound box of bowties and mix it all together in one of her big bowls ! that simple and there was never any left overs.. if we were lucky, she would boil up sausage and potatoes and serve them in another bowl..

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6131042)
Please do tell us more about fried cabbage and bow ties ... perhaps a recipe too!
I am totally intrigued!! THANKS!!

QuiltE 06-19-2013 07:12 AM

You have my attention, GGirl! ... I had wondered if it may be as simple as that, though I also wondered what other add ins there might be. mmmmmm sausage would be perfect ... or even some browned bulk sausage added to the mix. I grew up with lots of boiled cabbage (of course, slathered in butter!) and know many do not like cabbage, though I do! And when I have it, will add a wedge to cook alongside of roast veggies. Love the sweetness it can add to veggie soup.

Now get this ... I don't particularly care for cole slaw or cabbage salad! Weird, I know!

girliegirl 06-19-2013 08:05 AM

oh man now i am hungry !! when i cut up the cabbage i will eat the center core of it.. just like my Dad used to do.

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6131312)
You have my attention, GGirl! ... I had wondered if it may be as simple as that, though I also wondered what other add ins there might be. mmmmmm sausage would be perfect ... or even some browned bulk sausage added to the mix. I grew up with lots of boiled cabbage (of course, slathered in butter!) and know many do not like cabbage, though I do! And when I have it, will add a wedge to cook alongside of roast veggies. Love the sweetness it can add to veggie soup.

Now get this ... I don't particularly care for cole slaw or cabbage salad! Weird, I know!

nanacc 06-28-2013 10:14 PM

My DM fixed cabbage and turnips in a similar method. First..bacon grease or salt pork, of course. Then boil covered pan of either veg with little salt and pepper and sugar. Just cooked til tender and I can make my meal on either one. Hard to find good turnips that aren't bitter since our neighbor quit sowing them in their corn fields!

tesspug 06-28-2013 10:24 PM

Melons are delicious frozen and then eaten frozen. Melon pops..cool treat for summer.

Psychomomquilter 06-30-2013 03:51 AM

yeah girliegirl, recipe please! and for the extension for NC, I didn't even think about that one! will do that this week! thanks everyone for your help!

thanks girlirgirl, so fried cabage wuth bowties, polish kelbaska???

throw diced potatoes(already cooked, also the sausage, add it all together, mmmmm what a meal) I will do this one this week! again thanks everyone....