Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   French Onion Soup -- Crockpot!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/french-onion-soup-crockpot-t201903.html)

captlynhall 09-30-2012 07:28 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. I have only made homemade onion soup once. It was great, but it took hours to caramelize the onion on the stove top. I had no idea it was such a process. Can't wait to try using the crock pot.

QuiltE 09-30-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by captlynhall (Post 5553322)
Wow! Thanks for sharing this. I have only made homemade onion soup once. It was great, but it took hours to caramelize the onion on the stove top. I had no idea it was such a process. Can't wait to try using the crock pot.

The joy of this is you can set it to brew .... and go off and sew, with no need to fret about it! :)

sparkys_mom 10-01-2012 06:09 AM

While we are on the subject of onions and the crock pot - it pays to put those onions in the fridge overnight before you start chopping/slicing, etc. I used to hate handling large quantities of onions until I started doing this - now I can do the batch pretty much tear-free.

LenaBeena 10-01-2012 07:38 AM

Onion soup is one of my favorites, thanks so much for sharing this easy recipe.

QuiltE 10-01-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena (Post 5554157)
Onion soup is one of my favorites, thanks so much for sharing this easy recipe.

It's become one of my favourites too ... I can put it on to brew, forget about it and head to the sewing room!! What better?

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom (Post 5553942)
While we are on the subject of onions and the crock pot - it pays to put those onions in the fridge overnight before you start chopping/slicing, etc. I used to hate handling large quantities of onions until I started doing this - now I can do the batch pretty much tear-free.

It works great, doesn't it!!! :)

fatquarters 10-01-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks, I will be making this one too. I make it on the stove and it is slow, and needs watched. This sounds so easy.
When I make it though, I sometime cheat and use croutons instead of bread, I find it doesnt taste soo gooey. And for a nice flavor add a teeny bit of Dijon mustard to your cheese. Yummy

w7sue 10-01-2012 01:20 PM

This is so on my list of recipes to try - will have to try it this weekend.

Needles 10-02-2012 09:04 AM

Here's another recipe of it to try. This was in one of the first Crockpot recipe books, 40 years ago and this is the recipe I have used, that long. Am waiting for it to cool to fall here in FL so I can fix it. It'll beat any recipe, homecooked or in a restaurant.

CROCKPOT FRENCH ONION SOUP
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup butter or margarine
6 beef bouillon cubes
4 cups hot water
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
Sliced French bread (or you can use croutons)
Grated Parmesan cheese

In large skillet, cook onions in butter until lightly browned. In the crockpot, combine browned onions in the butter, with the bouillon cubes, water, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Cover and cook on low four to six hours. Makes four servings. To serve, top each bowl of soup with a toasted slice of French bread then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

My tips are, I always double the recipe, because it's excellent reheated and I never add the salt, the bouillon cubes tend to be salty. This soup smells so good cooking all day. Hope you enjoy.

Anael 10-02-2012 12:34 PM

Looks like I need a crockpot :D

QuiltE 10-02-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 5557430)
Looks like I need a crockpot :D

Yes indeed ... it's the best thing ... you can let it do it's thing while you do your thing (ie sit and sew!)