Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   gluten free flour (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/gluten-free-flour-t288391.html)

mim 05-20-2017 11:33 AM

gluten free flour

I'm new at this since November.

We made another batch of gingersnaps this afternoon and used a different brand of flour. I usually use Red Mill -- I didn't look at the ingredients and the new flour was all rice flour -- The cookies ended up flat and crumbly.

What brand do you use??

With the Red Mill I usually add an extra 1/4 cup and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour.

I use bisquick mix (gluten free) to make pancakes. Every Sunday we have blueberry pancakes and maple syrup. It is a family tradition.

Thanks -- Mim

Kassaundra 05-20-2017 11:55 AM

I have been GF for over 15 years, when I had to go GF there were not the choices that exist today so I never got much into baking. However the little I've done over the years w/ GF baking you really need a blend of flours. Sorghum flour was the main staple base I used adding some rice, sweet rice, tapioca, oat, soy or nut flours. (usually only 2 other flours) But now most sources for GF flour have it already in an blend where you just have to add the xanthum and guar.

Have you tried the banana, egg pancakes no flour at all, they could easily be turned into blue berry pancakes. My husband does not have to be GF (and isn't) but he prefers those pancakes to regular. (I usually add a tablespoon or two of GF oat flour b/c it makes a more believable texture.)

Kassaundra 05-20-2017 11:56 AM

Oh and the egg / cream cheese bread. It is also completely grain free, and the best "fake" bread I've come across.

cashs_mom 05-20-2017 12:43 PM

Thanks for the recommendations Kassaundra. I have to be gluten free also and have not tried any baking. My husband and I were never much on sweets and always trying to keep our weight down anyway so I haven't gotten into baking but it would be nice to have pancakes from breakfast once in a while. Unfortunately, I also have to be dairy free so no cream cheese but the bread sounds great.

Jennifer23 05-20-2017 05:05 PM

I don't often bake gluten free, but in Canada there is a Robin Hood gluten free flour blend that I've had great success with. It bakes almost the same as wheat flour. I've used it in both cookies and cupcakes with good results.

nightquilter 05-23-2017 05:06 PM

King Arthur. I used a blend also.

Kassaundra 05-23-2017 05:40 PM

"They" may have taken away my bread, but they will pry my ice cream and cheese from my cold dead hands!!!!! lol lol lol

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7827909)
Thanks for the recommendations Kassaundra. I have to be gluten free also and have not tried any baking. My husband and I were never much on sweets and always trying to keep our weight down anyway so I haven't gotten into baking but it would be nice to have pancakes from breakfast once in a while. Unfortunately, I also have to be dairy free so no cream cheese but the bread sounds great.

sailsablazin 05-23-2017 05:43 PM

My DH has had to be gluten free for 30+years. Go to the website GLUTENFREEANDMORE.COM and sign up for their newsletter. They offer a ton of free recipes... We have found that the "Champion Sandwich Bread" is very good.
ALSO---quick recipe...

3 INGREDIENT PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
1 egg
1cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar

Bake for 6 minutes...at 350 degrees

cashs_mom 05-23-2017 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7829953)
"They" may have taken away my bread, but they will pry my ice cream and cheese from my cold dead hands!!!!! lol lol lol

I said that too until I started not feeling well and being very reactive and unable to sleep when I had milk products. That was much harder for me to give up than gluten.

Stitchnripper 05-23-2017 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7829953)

alas- Mr stitchnripper gets severe migraines from cow dairy. He would rather give it up than suffer and non functional. He can eat goat or sheep dairy so he does have options. I have to be very careful with how I cook.