Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Have you frozen buttermilk? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/have-you-frozen-buttermilk-t288062.html)

LavenderBlue 05-07-2017 08:17 AM

Have you frozen buttermilk?

You know how it goes......you buy a quart of buttermilk to make pancakes or (in my case) a batch of ranch salad dressing, and what to do with the rest? I read online that buttermilk can be frozen but separates and needs to be shaken upon thawing. Wondering if any of you have successfully frozen buttermilk. Thanks!

mermaid 05-07-2017 08:29 AM

Correct! I have frozen buttermilk and it does seperate...curds settle and liquid rises. It seems to be thinner too, but is fine for cooking. I froze my excess to use for soaking chicken before frying. The milk looks unappetizing for drinking..I did not taste it.

toverly 05-07-2017 02:19 PM

All the time. It doesn't really act the same when it's thawed but it's fine for flavor. Just shake it up, I agree with mermaid. It looks unappetizing for drinking. But the biscuits rose fine.

LavenderBlue 05-07-2017 02:47 PM

Wonder how it would be in ranch dressing after thawing???

cheesecat 05-07-2017 03:07 PM

Hi , I freeze it often and use it in pancakes , waffles and coffee cakes. It seems to be fine for baking.

JENNR8R 05-08-2017 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whenever I buy fresh buttermilk, I always have some that goes to waste. For that reason I buy the buttermilk powder. I keep the container in the freezer. There are instructions on the back how much powder and water to use for your recipe. It works the same as fresh for baking and no waste.

Rhonda K 05-08-2017 05:42 AM

Another vote for the powdered one. Easy to make a small amount and keeps well in refrig!

Snooze2978 05-08-2017 06:10 AM

Yes, I froze buttermilk as well as regular milk. Yes, you need to shake it once its thawed out and I only use it for cooking, not drinking afterwards. I also freeze most all my produce from the garden,.........carrots, onions, celery, peppers and I chop them all up before freezing so they're ready to use in whatever recipe I need them for. I pick up mushrooms from the store too to chop up and freeze for later use. Half the prep is done beforehand so all I need to do is pull out however much I need at one time. I don't have one of those fancy dancy machines that suck out the air but read where you can use a straw (plastic in my casse), close your freezer bag up to the size of your straw ad suck out the air, close quickly after you remove the straw. Seems to work pretty good for me.

Snooze2978 05-08-2017 06:13 AM

never heard of powdered buttermilk but will check it out in our local store. Thanks for the tip. I find the taste of powdered milk lacking and I've noticed the price has gone up considerably from my childhood days. My mother would mix our regular milk with half powdered milk made up to make it go farther. It still tasted terrible back then.

Dakota Rose 05-08-2017 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 7819893)
Yes, I froze buttermilk as well as regular milk. Yes, you need to shake it once its thawed out and I only use it for cooking, not drinking afterwards. I also freeze most all my produce from the garden,.........carrots, onions, celery, peppers and I chop them all up before freezing so they're ready to use in whatever recipe I need them for. I pick up mushrooms from the store too to chop up and freeze for later use. Half the prep is done beforehand so all I need to do is pull out however much I need at one time. I don't have one of those fancy dancy machines that suck out the air but read where you can use a straw (plastic in my casse), close your freezer bag up to the size of your straw ad suck out the air, close quickly after you remove the straw. Seems to work pretty good for me.

I am curious about the mushrooms. How do you keep them from turning black -- do you rinse them in something or do anything else to keep them looking fresh?