Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Heart Healthy recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/heart-healthy-recipes-t215793.html)

Caswews 03-09-2013 05:52 AM

Amanda: Thanks for the recipe we will give that one a try .. Hubs looked at it and said mmmmmmmm.... sounds good .. Again .. thank you !!!

Thanks everyone else for the Turkey/chicken idea .. may have to try all the ground turkey/chicken for hamburger. Thanks again !!!

DJ 03-09-2013 06:27 AM

Since you want tried-and-true recipes, I submit this recipe that I just recently tried. I've made it three times now. It makes a lot, and I love it. My DH is a bit of a picky eater, and he likes it, too. Best wishes to you and your DH. [I have two vegetarian DDs, so I don't add any chicken. I think dark chicken meat as suggested might be more "Moroccan", but chicken breasts would be healthier of course.]

Moroccan Red Lentil Soup
6 servings
2 T. olive oil
2 large onions cut into medium dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin, preferably ground from fresh whole seeds toasted in a dry skillet
1 tsp. ground turmeric (or dry mustard)
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
7 cups vegetable broth
1 can (about 20 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 cups dried red lentils, washed and rinsed
Pinch red pepper flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
3 T. fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook for another minute. Add the broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Pour into a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir in lentils, cover the cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low, until lentils are tender. Stir in the pepper flakes, lemon juice, parsley and cilantro. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.

Option: Before sautéing the onion, sauté 1 pound boneless, skinless dark chicken meat cut into ½ inch pieces, in the oil until browned. Add the onion to the pan and proceed with the recipe.

saveaquilt 03-09-2013 12:58 PM

Here is a healthy tried and true recipe. It is my own concoction from a couple different recipe sources. I'm linking to my blog. http://theterrycookbook.blogspot.com...casserole.html I've had rave reviews from several friends and neighbors. It's one I'll take to a sick friend or pot luck.

Seaside gal 03-09-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1 (Post 5913912)
Chia seeds are high in Omega 6 - good for the heart. We use them in almond milk and it thickens to a sort of pudding. I sweeten with agave syrup. I also use Turkey and chicken more, rare to have any beef. Salmon of course and other fish are good for you. My husband had his first heart attach at 50 due to stress. Glad we have such good doctors to take care of us, but we also need to eat healthier. Best wishes to both of you.

Where do you purchase chia seeds? I haven't seen them in stores.

patski 03-09-2013 06:02 PM

Buy the $25 version of the Ninja food processor, you can put eggplant/mushrooms/ whatever veggies you like, mix it with ground turkey and make fabulous meatballs. You cut the amount of meat way down. My hubby had to give up all red meat and I've learned to use veggies in all kinds of new ways.. Good luck

Caswews 03-09-2013 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 5915826)
Since you want tried-and-true recipes, I submit this recipe that I just recently tried. I've made it three times now. It makes a lot, and I love it. My DH is a bit of a picky eater, and he likes it, too. Best wishes to you and your DH. [I have two vegetarian DDs, so I don't add any chicken. I think dark chicken meat as suggested might be more "Moroccan", but chicken breasts would be healthier of course.]

Moroccan Red Lentil Soup
6 servings
2 T. olive oil
2 large onions cut into medium dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin, preferably ground from fresh whole seeds toasted in a dry skillet
1 tsp. ground turmeric (or dry mustard)
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
7 cups vegetable broth
1 can (about 20 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 cups dried red lentils, washed and rinsed
Pinch red pepper flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
3 T. fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook for another minute. Add the broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Pour into a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir in lentils, cover the cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low, until lentils are tender. Stir in the pepper flakes, lemon juice, parsley and cilantro. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.

Option: Before sautéing the onion, sauté 1 pound boneless, skinless dark chicken meat cut into ½ inch pieces, in the oil until browned. Add the onion to the pan and proceed with the recipe.

Oh thank you DJ: Printed and on the recipes for this week. We love Red lentils .. thank you very much !!

Caswews 03-09-2013 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by saveaquilt (Post 5916810)
Here is a healthy tried and true recipe. It is my own concoction from a couple different recipe sources. I'm linking to my blog. http://theterrycookbook.blogspot.com...casserole.html I've had rave reviews from several friends and neighbors. It's one I'll take to a sick friend or pot luck.

Thank you very much .. Saveaquilt. We will be looking at all the recipes on that site and seeing what we can come up with .. Again-Thank you very much !

Caswews 03-09-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by patski (Post 5917468)
Buy the $25 version of the Ninja food processor, you can put eggplant/mushrooms/ whatever veggies you like, mix it with ground turkey and make fabulous meatballs. You cut the amount of meat way down. My hubby had to give up all red meat and I've learned to use veggies in all kinds of new ways.. Good luck

Thanks for the idea Patski I truly appreciate it .. Again thank you very much !

Caswews 03-09-2013 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1 (Post 5913912)
Chia seeds are high in Omega 6 - good for the heart. We use them in almond milk and it thickens to a sort of pudding. I sweeten with agave syrup. I also use Turkey and chicken more, rare to have any beef. Salmon of course and other fish are good for you. My husband had his first heart attach at 50 due to stress. Glad we have such good doctors to take care of us, but we also need to eat healthier. Best wishes to both of you.

Thanks Murphy1 I will get some chia seeds, have tried Agave and DH doesn't like it; but he will learn to like it !LOL I bought Ground Chicken and Turkey along with Turkey Sausages and Patties (Jimmy Dean) Thank you very much !

Caswews 03-09-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas (Post 5913853)
I' m glad the DH is getting along OK. I use ground turkey instead of hamburger for spaghetti sauce,chili,tacos,meat lof. Works fine,has much less fat that is less saturated. I use turkey ham and sausage and bacon.

Thank you very much Francie, I bought the ground turkey and chicken today .. We had Fajita tacos with it tonite and he loved the chicken ones. Saved the turkey for another day .. Again- Thank you very much