Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   HELp with Meringue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/help-meringue-t247590.html)

true4uca 05-29-2014 06:56 PM

HELp with Meringue

This is my second attempt this week to make meringue. The second attempt was worse. Years ago I had no problem.Can't get a good volume & it really shrinks. Tastes good but a failure in the looks dept. Any tips or fool proof recipe.

BETTY62 05-29-2014 08:53 PM

To make your meringue hold it's stiffness and stop the egg whites from pulling away or shrinking when it's browned, my Granny taught me to put 1 pinch of cream of tarter for each egg white used. Also, you should never use a plastic bowl when beating the egg whites.

Tothill 05-29-2014 09:00 PM

Very fresh eggs help, as does a perfectly clean bowl and beaters.

My step mum makes Pavlova and adds a bit of vinegar to the egg whites.

Tartan 05-29-2014 09:07 PM

I use a clean metal bowl and add a bit of cream of tartar.

psychonurse 05-30-2014 03:51 AM

merinque : place metal bowl and beaters in refrigerator to get cold before using

Have egg whites at room temperature. If you forgot to take them out early enough place whole eggs
in warm water

separate egg whites from yolks, in separate bowls or cups. this way if you have a speck of yellow
you only need to discard that egg not all you are using n your recipe. a speck of yolk will cause your merinque failure

a tad of cream of Tartar
Gradually add sugar after you have beat the egg whites a few strokes on medium . continue beating until soft peaks form.

trolleystation 05-30-2014 04:46 AM

Wow...great advice, as usual, regarding meringue

dwhite138 05-30-2014 05:50 AM

To stabilize the egg whites you need to add 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. I beat 4 egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until the egg whites reach soft peak. Then add 6 tablespoon of sugar a little at a time and continue beating until the egg white become stiff and glossy. Cream of tartar can also be used when making quiche to help keep it light and fluffy.

tessagin 05-30-2014 05:54 AM

Use a metal mixing bowl. I was also informed of the cream of tartar. the amount of humidity in the day makes a difference.

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 6736790)
To make your meringue hold it's stiffness and stop the egg whites from pulling away or shrinking when it's browned, my Granny taught me to put 1 pinch of cream of tarter for each egg white used. Also, you should never use a plastic bowl when beating the egg whites.

Normabeth 05-30-2014 06:58 AM

yes, the use of cream of tartar and room temp eggs help.

riutzelj 05-30-2014 08:00 AM

the only thing I would add to psychonurse's directions is that both bowel and mixer/whisk must be very clean; no trace of any kind of oil or fat on them.
Room temperature eggs is important,as is the cream of tartar.