Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Home made Lemon Curd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/home-made-lemon-curd-t120801.html)

Tussymussy 05-04-2011 01:55 PM

Home Made Lemon Curd

4 juicy Lemons – zest grated and juiced
4 Large eggs
12oz golden caster sugar
8oz softened unsalted butter cut into small lumps
2 level teaspoons corn flour

Whisk the eggs in a medium sized saucepan. Add the other ingredients and then place over a medium heat. Whisk continuously with a balloon whisk for 7 – 8 minutes until the mixture thickens. Be careful not to over heat or the eggs will curdle. Lower the heat and let the lemon curd gently simmer for another minute, continuously whisking. Remove from the heat. Pour the mixture, into 3 hot sterilized 1lb jars.

You can use 3 medium juicy oranges to make orange curd or 7 – 8 limes, depending on size for lime curd.

Delicious on scones, drizzled over cakes, lemon meringue or if you have a sweet tooth - on toast.

Carol's Quilts 05-04-2011 02:20 PM

What is golden castor sugar?

Also, when you say 12 oz. sugar, do you mean 12 ounces by weight or 1 1/2 cups?

(We don't use the metric system, so it's confusing.)

fabric lover 05-04-2011 02:47 PM

Thank you, I'll try that (soon).

LoriEl 05-04-2011 03:07 PM

Thanks! Yummy.

CarrieAnne 05-05-2011 05:35 AM

thanks!

Terryl 05-05-2011 06:31 AM

Also what is corn flour? Would that be corn starch in the U.S.?

Ramona Byrd 05-05-2011 07:43 AM

Thank you for this. As soon as I translate the recipe, I'll run out to the lemon tree in my back yard and pick a few of them. Since I do not spray it, I can safely use the skins for zest.
This sounds yummy!!

Kaz 05-05-2011 09:16 AM

It is like your light golden brown but finer so it is like (light golden brown) caster sugar you make cakes with.

Also, when you say 12 oz. sugar, do you mean 12 ounces by weight or 1 1/2 cups? Means 12 ounces in weight pretty sure in weight they are the same( but fluid ounces I know are different). it's not Metric weight (which would be grams etc.), it is Imperial.

Corn flour is pretty much your corn starch, what you would use to thicken gravies, sauces etc.

Lemon curd is delicious on toast... yummy!!! Or in US, maybe your biscuits (not quite the same as our scones but close).

Lol, None of my recipe books I bought from the Uk are much use over here to me, everything in cups etc. So learning it all the hard way and trying hard to find substitutes for things I took for granted back in the UK.

Hope this helps :)

Patchworkmarion 05-05-2011 09:57 AM

Thank you.I will make some.We have lots of limes.

Carol's Quilts 05-06-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kaz

It is like your light golden brown but finer so it is like (light golden brown) caster sugar you make cakes with.

Also, when you say 12 oz. sugar, do you mean 12 ounces by weight or 1 1/2 cups? Means 12 ounces in weight pretty sure in weight they are the same( but fluid ounces I know are different). it's not Metric weight (which would be grams etc.), it is Imperial.

Corn flour is pretty much your corn starch, what you would use to thicken gravies, sauces etc.

Lemon curd is delicious on toast... yummy!!! Or in US, maybe your biscuits (not quite the same as our scones but close).

Lol, None of my recipe books I bought from the Uk are much use over here to me, everything in cups etc. So learning it all the hard way and trying hard to find substitutes for things I took for granted back in the UK.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for all the explanations. I'm sorry you're having a hard time here. Did you bring all your measuring devices and scales with you - that would surely make it easier. As for finding substitutions for ingredients you used in the UK, perhaps we can help. Give us a list of what you need and perhaps we can clarify some things for you. I'll bet there are quite a few people who have had the same problem and have found answers. We'll all try to help.