Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Hot Bacon Dressing for Spinach Salad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/hot-bacon-dressing-spinach-salad-t169805.html)

sharon1 11-25-2011 01:06 PM

Hot Bacon Dressing for Spinach Salad

I am looking for the spinach salad dressing. When we are in Penn. it is on the salad bars quite often in a crock pot, served warm, to put over a fresh spinach salad. It has bacon in it and sometimes seems to be a little thicker then other times. Does anyone have a recipe for this?

Val in IN 11-25-2011 03:35 PM

Nope, but I'll be checking back to see if anyone comes up with it. Thanks for asking :-)

cjr5107 11-26-2011 06:05 AM

My Father in law used to make this all the time.... Very Good

Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing

Ingredients

1 (10 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 strips crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
10 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
2 strips crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Place spinach into a large serving bowl, top with hard-cooked eggs, mushrooms, 4 crumbled strips of bacon, Swiss cheese, and almonds.
Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in shallots and garlic, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and 2 crumbled strips of bacon; season to taste with salt and pepper, then cook until hot.
Pour hot dressing over spinach and toss to coat.

cjr5107 11-26-2011 06:10 AM

This came from Allrecipe.com I have not tried it, However it looks like it would be very good, Maybe reduce the sugar a little bit. If you try it please let me know how it turns out. :-)

Hot Bacon Dressing

Ingredients:
8 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
Directions:
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt, and slowly pour in water and vinegar, whisking constantly.
3. In a medium skillet, add the crumbled bacon and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

Ellageo 11-26-2011 06:21 AM

Hot Bacon Dressing, Pa Dutch style

HI! I live in Pennsylvania Dutch country & this is just about a "staple" around here!
Bacon Dressing:
1/4 lb bacon 1/4 cp vinegar
1/2 cp sugar 1/2 cp water (vinegar & sugar to taste)
2 eggs beaten
Fry diced bacon.(best bacon for this is fatty! bacon!) Beat eggs, sugar, vinegar, & water. Add mixture to diced bacon & bring to a boil. Thicken with 1 Tblsp flour or cornstartch. Also let bacon grease cool before adding ingrediants(so the eggs don't cook!!) ENJOY!!!

sharon1 11-26-2011 07:54 AM

Thanks a million! I will try this and let ya all know. I know it is a "staple" in the Penn. Dutch area as so many of the restaurants serve this dressing on the salad bars.

spartan quilter 11-30-2011 08:36 PM

I cook in a hospital cafeteria and this is going on the salad bar the next time I do salads. They love spinach salads and this sounds so good. Thanks for the recipes.

Quiltlove 12-02-2011 09:47 AM

I made this for our quilt guild Christmas Party last night. It was a big hit. Thank you.

Quiltngolfer 12-02-2011 11:42 AM

Thank you very much. I get the spinach salad at Patti's Settlement in Grand Rivers, KY. I have always wanted to know how to make the dressing. Can't wait to try it.

Iraxy 12-02-2011 12:06 PM

I put a variation of this recipe on brussel sprouts. Yum. I just make it freehand, it is good to have a recipe to fall back on. Thanks.