Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How big are your Biscuits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-big-your-biscuits-t166173.html)

MissSandra 11-05-2011 02:30 AM

How big are your Biscuits

I was at a farm stand recently and asked the owner if the biscuits were here own she said yes but
she would not say what she did to get them to rise so High! they must have been 3-4 inches high
Other than comming out of a can , Care to share your recipe for big busicits and the secrets to
extra high biscuits?
Thank you
Sandra

Barb44 11-05-2011 03:19 AM

To get biscuits that high she must roll them out thick, like about 1". I roll mine about 3/4" and mine are a good 2" high.
This will make some people cringe, but I get the best biscuits when I use lard for shortening. I also add an extra 1/2 tsp. baking powder. I do not over mix and add as little wet ingredient as possible. When I turn them out if dough is dry I sprinkle with water and knead in just enough so dough can be rolled. Shortening should be cold, just like pie crust. I cut large biscuits (grand size). I just use an ordinary baking powder biscuit recipe.
I really like buttermilk biscuits but haven't found the secret of making good ones.

sewNso 11-06-2011 07:13 AM

that's the way to get bigger biscuits. just cut them bigger, and thicker. self rising flour is the way to make easy quick southern biscuits. and crisco. i believe the recipe is on the side of the flour bag. out of flour at the present.

Lady-T 11-06-2011 11:04 AM

Yep! Cut them thicker and DO NOT over knead!!

Originally Posted by Barb44 (Post 4634381)
To get biscuits that high she must roll them out thick, like about 1". I roll mine about 3/4" and mine are a good 2" high.
This will make some people cringe, but I get the best biscuits when I use lard for shortening. I also add an extra 1/2 tsp. baking powder. I do not over mix and add as little wet ingredient as possible. When I turn them out if dough is dry I sprinkle with water and knead in just enough so dough can be rolled. Shortening should be cold, just like pie crust. I cut large biscuits (grand size). I just use an ordinary baking powder biscuit recipe.
I really like buttermilk biscuits but haven't found the secret of making good ones.

meanmom 11-06-2011 12:11 PM

My favorite recipe is out of an Amish cookbook I have had for years.It makes a big batch and i keep them in the freezer and just pop them in the oven frozen. I just made a batch this morning. It makes 30 to 35 biscuits.
BISCUITS
6 cups flour, 1/2 cup instant dry milk, 1/4 cup baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 1 cup cold lard or crisco, 1 cup butter, 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
Combine dry ingredients, mix well. cut butter and crisco into chunks cut in with pastry cutter until it looks like small peas. stir in buttermilk. Dump onto floured pastry cloth knead about 8 to 10 times until it holds together.Do not overwork dough. Roll out 3/4 inch thick and cut into biscuits. Bake at 400 for 13 to 15 minutes. Freeze remaining biscuits on a cookie sheet until hard. Place in plastic bag when hard. If frozen bake 15 to 18 minutes.

athomenow 11-06-2011 01:37 PM

I only wish I could make a biscuit that would rise at all. Mine are not attractive or good. Ex used to say if war broke out the army would want them as weapons! That's why he's an EX.

eimay 11-06-2011 04:29 PM

My biscuits are big due to heredity. That was a bit of "leaven" ty. O.K., go ahead and groan.

KimmieH 11-07-2011 11:09 AM

oh your bad! funny though :)

Originally Posted by eimay (Post 4643367)
My biscuits are big due to heredity. That was a bit of "leaven" ty. O.K., go ahead and groan.

sewNso 11-07-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow (Post 4642501)
I only wish I could make a biscuit that would rise at all. Mine are not attractive or good. Ex used to say if war broke out the army would want them as weapons! That's why he's an EX.

the secret is to use self rising flour. and the recipe on the side of the package. stir barely enough to get the liquid mixed in. the less the better. pour the whole bowl of mix on to a lightly floured surface, shape into a ball on the counter. handling as little as possible. pat somewhat flat. do not use a rolling pin. the thicker the dough, the thicker the biscuit. cut with a floured drinking glass. place in preheated pan with melted shortening. just takes a little practice. they don't have to be pretty.

Sew and Sew 11-07-2011 04:11 PM

Well I always critique my biscuits, I love the angel biscuit recipe, using one package of yeast....they cook well and they freeze well. Just love them.