Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How do I make real iced tea? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-i-make-real-iced-tea-t220847.html)

BDawn 05-06-2013 04:29 PM

This is how I make it. 1/2 gallon ofwater brought just to boiling. pour over 6 tea bags cover and let steep 6 minutes.
Remove tea bags NOW here is the secret to cutting out the bitter and having a nice clear tea add just a pinch of baking soda. Add sugar to taste while tea is still hot. Enjoy

whynotquilt 05-06-2013 04:33 PM

Real Iced Tea -

• 1 large glass pitcher or jar with lid (that will accommodate 8 cups of water)
  • 6 to 8 regular size tea bags (or equivalent loose tea) ((We use 3 Lipton Family size tea bags))
Directions:
  • Fill pitcher with 8 cups of cold water then add the bags. Seal with lid.
  • Place pitcher in full sun (getting 2 to 3 hours of sunlight–up to 4 hours if you prefer a stronger brew).
  • After brewing, squeeze the tea bags so you get the fullest flavor from them.
  • Add sugar to taste - some people like it really sweet others not so much or at all.
  • Refrigerate until fully chilled.
  • Add ice cubes and any flavorings before serving.
(You need to add the sugar while it is still warm so it will dissolve. )

Enjoy and be prepared to make more!!!!

That's how we do it in the south. No need to get the kitchen warm with a hot stove!

whynotquilt

Suze9395 05-06-2013 04:35 PM

Mine is very simple.

I put a pot of water, 6-7 cups on the stove. I add 3 large tea bags, bring just to a boil, then turn it off. Let it steep for a few (5?) minutes. Pour the hot tea in a gallon pitcher. Add just over a cup of sugar (more or less to taste) stir to disolve. Fill with cold tap water and put in fridge to chill.

barny 05-06-2013 04:35 PM

Very easy. I put 4 family sized tea bags in a 6 cup measuring cup and put it in microwave for 5 minutes. Done. Makes a large glass pitcher full.

NJ Quilter 05-06-2013 04:44 PM

I would simply make your tea the way you like your hot tea and then either let it cool naturally and pop it in the fridge. My only suggestion added to the above would be to make sure you add your sugar/sweetener while the liquid is hot...otherwise it will not dissolve correctly and you may end up getting a 'gritty' sweet taste.

cdmmiracles 05-06-2013 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee (Post 6048689)
I am of Northern European descent so there is always tea in my fridge. I have a teamaker that I use but I am guessing that you don't have one. To make it atop the stove I would do it as stated above but here is my formula from on top of the range. I keep it simple.

4-5 family size tea bags.....black tea or any iced tea blend
boil water in a saucepan add bags and steep for 30 minutes or more.
Pour the steeped tea in a gallon pitcher and add cold water. Squeeze teabags.
Sweeten to taste and refrigerate.

As you make it you will adjust it to you tastes. Another thought is to add a raspberry teabag to brew.

I make mine like this, only add approx. 1 1/2 cups of sugar (sweeten to your taste) to hot tea in jar (stir and give a few min to dissolve sugar) before adding cold water.

deedum 05-06-2013 06:09 PM

We bought a mr coffee tea maker, put your tea in and water per directions that comes with it. Brews up nicely, refridgerate, sure makes all the difference to have brewed ice tea.

CarolynMT 05-06-2013 06:18 PM

I grew up in southern US :) sweet tea capital of the world I swear ....

take 6-8 cups of water in a sauce pan, add 1c or less of sugar (makes 2 qts) bring to a boil, turn off stove, add tea bags, let steep for 5-10mins depending on how strong you like your tea. Take the bags out, pour over ice. :)

Sandygirl 05-07-2013 03:04 AM

I love my iced tea maker that I recieved as a house warming gift in 1993.
Sandy

MaryKatherine 05-07-2013 03:18 AM

I've always made what I call California tea. Learned it at least40 years ago.
Take a glass bottle with a tight lid. Old jucie bottle, gallon bottle etc, fill it with water and about 6 bags.
Seal it tight and place it in the sun for a few days.
Refrigerate and serve.
Never bitter and very little floating tanin scum.
MaryKatherine