Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How do you convert red pepper flakes to powdered cayenne? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-you-convert-red-pepper-flakes-powdered-cayenne-t296437.html)

ctack2 04-23-2018 02:58 PM

How do you convert red pepper flakes to powdered cayenne?

I love the flavor, but don't like to bite into a red pepper flake. Anyone know the conversion to powdered cayenne?
Carol B

elnan 04-23-2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2 (Post 8046102)
I love the flavor, but don't like to bite into a red pepper flake. Anyone know the conversion to powdered cayenne?
Carol B

I know that powdered cayenne is just as hot as the flakes. I have enjoyed the aleppo pepper flakes from Penzey's. Northwoods is also good. I am all for flavor, but dislike added heat.

Tothill 04-23-2018 05:48 PM

Are you asking how many teaspoons of Cayenne powder to a teaspoon of flakes?

I never measure either, I go entirely by taste as the age of the spice affects the flavour. I also blend various pepper powders, such a Cayenne, Chipotle, Smoked Paprika, Ancho etc.

I find using a variety of peppers gives depth of flavour without too much spice.

You can also soak the flakes in one of your liquid ingredients and whiz it in the blender.

JENNR8R 04-24-2018 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by ctack2 (Post 8046102)
Carol B

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but I agree that the pepper flakes are too big. I put the flakes in coffee grinder and it becomes a powdered spice.

Note: I do not grind coffee in my grinder. I only use it for spices and seeds. A good way to clean it out afterwards is to grind some bread in it. The residue of whatever was ground the last time adheres to the bread, and it gets thrown away.

AnngelAnne 04-24-2018 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 8046360)
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but I agree that the pepper flakes are too big. I put the flakes in coffee grinder and it becomes a powdered spice.

Note: I do not grind coffee in my grinder. I only use it for spices and seeds. A good way to clean it out afterwards is to grind some bread in it. The residue of whatever was ground the last time adheres to the bread, and it gets thrown away.

I do the same, but I don't throw the bread away, I use it in meatloaf or stuffed clams, chicken rolls or pork chops, etc.

trolleystation 04-24-2018 06:02 AM

Thanks for the tip. My daughter recently introduced me to red pepper flakes on pizza, but I would prefer the powder.

d.rickman 04-25-2018 02:30 AM

You could also grind them up using a pestle and mortar, if you don't have a coffee grinder.

Lady Diana 04-25-2018 04:21 AM

the mini Cuisinart works great to grind spices.

NZquilter 04-25-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman (Post 8046953)
You could also grind them up using a pestle and mortar, if you don't have a coffee grinder.

This is what I do.

Chasing Hawk 04-25-2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman (Post 8046953)

I use a coffee grinder to grind whole roasted spices. I don't see why you couldn't do that with red pepper flakes.