Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   how do you cook bacon (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-you-cook-bacon-t319673.html)

farmquilter 12-07-2022 11:31 AM

how do you cook bacon

I tried baking some and it seemed to take forever to get done. What is your best method for preparing bacon that is crispy and does not make messy splatters.

Anniedeb 12-07-2022 12:44 PM

Depending on how I feel, I cook it various ways! I have baked in on a rack in the oven, or just on a cookie sheet. I have fried it in a frying pan. I've fried it adding water. I've cooked it on the flat griddle, and the griddle with the rack. I've microwaved it. We've even cooked it on the gas grill outside. Unfortunately, I don't know how to avoid splatters, without constantly keeping it covered. I will say that every method/way I've cooked it has been satisfactory. We like it just short of crispy, and definitely no burn on it.

ptquilts 12-07-2022 01:44 PM

fried in a cast iron pan so I can save the grease. Over medium heat, it doesn't seem to spatter.

tallchick 12-07-2022 02:59 PM

I bake mine in the oven on convection roast mode 400 degrees , doesn’t take long at all.

sewingpup 12-07-2022 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8579120)
I bake mine in the oven on convection roast mode 400 degrees , doesn’t take long at all.

What kind of a pan do you use to do that? I just got a new stove that has settings for convention roast and also for air frying. Currently I am using my microwave on a hard plastic microwave bacon rack. I usually just put a paper towel over the bacon to prevent spattering though it does wipe out of the microwave easily. I usually just cut my pound of bacon into half and then divided the halves in half again and freeze three of them cooking the fourth. It gets nice and crispy and most of the grease drains off.

BonnieJP 12-07-2022 04:43 PM

I bake mine in the oven on a cookie sheet. One additional tip - I have a self cleaning oven, but have found the best way to clean grease spatters in my oven is to wipe down a cold oven with a mixture of Borax and warm water. Even the baked on stuff comes off without scrubbing.

Tartan 12-07-2022 05:29 PM

I place foil on my cookie sheet and do it in my oven. I turn the strips over a few times. If the bacon is too greasy, I pour some of the grease into my Pyrex measuring cup mid way and then continue cooking.

Mkotch 12-08-2022 02:01 AM

I bake for about 20 min. on a cookie sheet covered in foil. This really results in the crispiest bacon for me. However, I just read a suggestion that you bake with a piece of parchment under and another on top which would eliminate the spatters. Will give it a try soon.

Rhonda K 12-08-2022 03:42 AM

I fry in a skillet on the stove top with a bacon press.

cindyb 12-08-2022 04:26 AM

I cut the package in half and freeze one half. Then I get a cookie sheet and put a wire rack on top. Take each piece of bacon and twist it a couple of times (instead of laying it flat) This allows me to fit all the bacon on this rack. I bake it about 20 minutes or until I get the crispness I want. I do this in my toaster oven and have not noticed much splatter at all.