Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How Do You Organize Online Recipes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-you-organize-online-recipes-t297010.html)

onaemtnest 05-18-2018 09:32 AM

How Do You Organize Online Recipes?

Help!

How do you organize online recipes? I've got to find a way to keep recipes in an orderly way that I can easily access them via the computer. So many great recipes but printing them off is not working for me.

cashs_mom 05-18-2018 10:00 AM

I copy them and keep them on my computer. I just created a folder for Recipes and either download them directly from the internet or print them out and then scan them for saving on my computer.

susiequilt 05-18-2018 10:53 AM

I keep mine in treepad free I downloaded online.

JanelleTrebuna 05-18-2018 11:17 AM

Pinterest is how I organize everything--recipes, quilting patterns, fabric dyeing info, soap making, pretty much any interest I have. It has folders you name and then I can pull that info up on my computer, tablet, or, most often, my phone and have it accessible when cooking or creating.

M.Elizabeth 05-18-2018 04:01 PM

I don't even cook much anymore, but I collect recipes like I am cooking for a dozen! I have a folder for recipes: beverages, cakes, cookies, pasta, etc. etc. Under each category, I have sub-folders: for example, for pasta, I have spaghetti, lasagna, mac and cheese. I have 100s of recipes saved in this manner.

NJ Quilter 05-18-2018 06:48 PM

Can you create bookmark folders in your browser once you've downloaded? Or if you just want to keep the link? First level 'recipes' then use sub-folders within that folder for breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert or however it is you want to organize.

Or download and still follow the same process? To me...one needs to think of their computer storage the same as an old-fashioned filing cabinet. The 'folders' essentially are the 'drawers' of the file cabinet; the files within the folders comparable to the file folders in the old world filing cabinet. Can continue to create sub-folders to whatever level you want to specify.

Tothill 05-18-2018 11:00 PM

I use Pinterest, but you have to remember that the recipe is on another site and if that site goes down you will lose it.

On my OneDrive, I have a recipe folder with sub folders by type, much the way I store recipes in Pinterest.

Recipes
-Main Dishes
—Indian
——Lamb
——Chicken
—Italian
——Sauces
——Pasta
—Middle Eastern

Etc.

Much the same way i save quilting patterns and ideas
Quilts
-EPP
—Hexies
——Table Toppers
——Wall Quilts
-Precuts
—Jelly Rolls
——Jelly Roll Race

JENNR8R 05-19-2018 04:56 AM

I put favorite recipes in a Microsoft Word document.

Alot of times I make changes to the recipe to suit me. That way I don't have to remember how to change the original recipe each time.

It's easy to find a recipe by doing a search for an ingredient.

If I want to share the recipe, I cut and paste it into an email or another website like the Quilting Board.

cashs_mom 05-19-2018 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 8060827)
I put favorite recipes in a Microsoft Word document.

Alot of times I make changes to the recipe to suit me. That way I don't have to remember how to change the original recipe each time.

It's easy to find a recipe by doing a search for an ingredient.

If I want to share the recipe, I cut and paste it into an email or another website like the Quilting Board.

I have a lot of mine in Word Docs also. I have to make a lot of substitutions to accommodate my food sensitivities. Word Docs make that easy.

Aurora 05-19-2018 06:59 AM

I put them into a Word cookbook. When I need a recipe I just search it and print the recipe. Once I use one I put that recipe copy into a binder for future use.