Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How do you organize/store your recipes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-you-organize-store-your-recipes-t289746.html)

Fabricgator 07-19-2017 10:43 AM

How do you organize/store your recipes?

How do you organize and store your recipes? Who still uses a recipe box?

I tend to clip or print off recipes, then they get in a messy pile. I have a book in which I can write my favorite recipes. I do spend summers down south, so awhile ago I started putting recipes on Google Drive, so I can access them wherever I am. What do you do?​

Tartan 07-19-2017 01:36 PM

I have a few cookbooks and a binder that I put in collected and favourite recipes. I have Allrecipes app. on my IPad so I usually look there now when I want something.

cashs_mom 07-19-2017 01:52 PM

I keep mine on my laptop. I've scanned a lot of the older ones in and downloaded some new ones from the internet.

tranum 07-19-2017 02:18 PM

I use a plastic shoe box to keep most but I have a recipe album with 3x5 clear pages where I keep my favorites. The shoe box is really old and not as deep as new ones so it's perfect.

toverly 07-19-2017 02:29 PM

I tend to print all my recipes from online sources. I have a regular 3 ring binder notebook and use a hole punch to store the printed ones. I also have a few sheet protectors from other things that I put the smaller items from magazines and recipe cards and such. It works because when I make a recipe that one is on top. Eventually, the duds end up in the back.

ube quilting 07-19-2017 03:06 PM

I use binders and sheet protectors. As some of my favorite old soft cover books started to fall apart I took them totally apart, punched holes in the pages and put them in binders too. A very nice way to keep recipes organized.

Murphy224 07-20-2017 01:32 AM

I am kinda old school, still keep a recipe box actually a wooden box that I have had for over 50 years!! I never add to it anymore, but it is full of old old recipes that I still use. I keep any recipes I find online on my computer. I have a folder named"1A All Recipes" with sub folders inside broken down by category for example Cakes. In that folder, I have sub folders again with types ie: pound, nut, different fruits, cupcakes, dump cakes, etc. Or category Breads: subfolders: quick, yeast, and again some sub folders in those. When I am looking for something I just go to the folders and look it up. I also print some and keep them in a large 3-ring binder. I just like to have a paper recipe handy when cooking. Haven't got myself trained to use the laptop or tablet to read a recipe and cook from it. I use my hands a lot and don't see getting food bits down in my laptop.
Occasionally, I have to go in and sort.....mainly delete those I have made and don't plan to ever make again or those that just don't appeal to me anymore. I really should move them to the cloud so they would be available on all devices but just recently got high speed internet and am still in a learning curve. (I know....but I live out in the country where high speed was not available till this year)
Another learning curve as to how to do that, put in the cloud.....and how important is it to me????
Anyway, that is how I organize and store my recipes. Basically, I would just like to be able to stop cooking altogether, but that is another story.....lol

Wanabee Quiltin 07-20-2017 03:42 AM

Years ago I bought a plastic photo book and stick the recipes into the little spaces. I keep desserts in the front, salads in the middle and entrees in the back. Works for me.

JENNR8R 07-20-2017 04:57 AM

I keep a "Word" document of my favorite recipes and print them out when needed. It's easy to make changes to the recipe that way. I'm always tweaking them. Some of the printed copies are put in a binder in the kitchen when finished. Mostly they are stuffed into the side pockets instead of three-hole-punching them into the binder. I like being able to find a recipe fast on the computer. It's also nice being able to cut and paste a recipe to share with others.

MaggieLou 07-20-2017 05:50 AM

You would think from the amount of cookbooks I have I love to cook but it's just the opposite. I don't like to cook plus DH is one of those meat and potato men. He won't try anything new. I'm always looking for new recipes with ingredients I think he'll eat so I have lots of recipes just loose on my bookcase shelf. I keep saying I'm going to organize them into categories but I keep putting it off. If I ever do get around to organizing them, it will be similar to the way cookbooks are organized. Beef, chicken, desserts, etc.