Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How much salt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-much-salt-t316487.html)

cashs_mom 09-29-2021 11:16 AM

I prefer that they give me an amount as a starting point. And I always prefer that it's in teaspoons not "pinch of". I never learned to cook from my mother because she told me to put "a little of" things. When you're first learning a little salt could be 1/4 tsp or a tablespoon. Since you've never done it, you don't have a frame of reference. The good thing about it is that I learned to cook from recipes and I'm still excellent at that.

Peaceandjoy, I hate when they say 1 medium onion. I have food sensitivities and have to do a lot of substituting. I finally had to do research and find out how much in cups, one medium onion really was. I can only use green onions so I need the cup measurement.

Anniedeb 09-29-2021 07:30 PM

I will have to admit that I am a "salt-aholic"! I absolutely love salt. Salty popcorn, plain pasta, you name it, I salted it to excess. However....I have had quite the run of heart issues, water retention, and my system out of whack lately. My sodium levels were way too high, and so was my BP. Now I'm under strict doctors orders to throw away the salt shaker. Not the first time I've been told this, but the urgency is there now. My meds have been adjusted, and I've been avoiding salt. It was really hard to adjust to the bland taste at first, but the results are worth it. I'd go back if I could, I just love the taste, but not worth the risks!

Jo Belmont 09-29-2021 09:41 PM

Personally, I love salt. I keep an eye on my blood pressure, but I also temper my cooking with how miserable is it to eat something great without salt? Lack of it can ruin the best of recipes. In short: I'd rather check out a year or two early having enjoyed each and every bite than extend the process with eating that falls short. I'll take the satisfaction anytime, but I understand and respect doing what works for you. Just sayin' . . .

bearisgray 09-30-2021 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8510627)
I prefer that they give me an amount as a starting point. And I always prefer that it's in teaspoons not "pinch of".

Exactly my feelings about almost any recipe.

Snooze2978 09-30-2021 05:40 AM

I do what Valeri bertinelli does............eyeball it.

Onebyone 09-30-2021 06:26 AM

I start with a half teaspoon and go from there. Salt adds flavor and you don't need much.

Irishrose2 09-30-2021 09:24 AM

I can usually guess how much salt is needed by the list of ingredients. My favorite from a 1937 cookbook is 'butter the size of an egg.' Eggs vary in size.

cashs_mom 09-30-2021 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8510791)
I can usually guess how much salt is needed by the list of ingredients. My favorite from a 1937 cookbook is 'butter the size of an egg.' Eggs vary in size.

Lol. I've never seen that. Love it!

sewingpup 10-09-2021 11:30 AM

I have eliminated salt from most things. I read somewhere that any premade food uses salt and sugar to cater to the "normal" taste buds. And both the taste of salt and sugar covers up the taste of what is being eaten. I have found that to be so, so, so true. I love the taste of things without the salt and sugar cover-ups. It did take a while to stop missing the salt and sugar. But now if I go to a fast food place or restaurant, all I taste is the salt soup, the salt fries, the salt meat, the salt Chinese, I much prefer the subtler taste of the fresh vegetables, ect. Same with sugar....I can not stand to eat bought banana bread or cookies anymore. My homemade cookies and breads are so much tastier. I usually do use some sugar...but I have been known to cut the sugar to 1/4 of what it calls for. I add an extra banana and maybe some blueberries to my banana bread and have learned to love plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in. The flavored stuff to me must tastes grossly sweet to me now.