Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   I need canning/water bath recipies for apples and pears.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/i-need-canning-water-bath-recipies-apples-pears-t75095.html)

luvTooQuilt 11-08-2010 10:26 AM

My trees produced alot of pears and apples.. I need canning recipes on what to do with them..

thanks..

pab58 11-08-2010 05:02 PM

What type of goodies are you thinking of making -- jams, jellies, pie fillings, chutneys, spiced, etc? I have several canning books that I'm sure would have recipes for you. You could also Google it. My books are by Ball Canning Company and Kerr Canning Company. They probably have a web site where you could do a search for what you are interested in making. :wink:

LUANNH 11-10-2010 04:51 PM

try http://www.canning.falbepublishing.com this is a link for free downloads of recipes, lots of fruit recipes here and general info. LuAnn

kristen0112 11-10-2010 04:57 PM

I would make pear and apple butter with all that fruit.

1 cup sugar to 1 cup fruit (you can actually get away with 3/4c if you want.
1 - 2 tsp cinnamon

Wash your fruit. Chop fruit UNPEELED in blender or food processor. Add sugar and cinnamon and cook until the mixture begins to 'plop' the bubbles will rise to the surface and slowly pop and make that plopping noise as they pop. Then place in hot jars, place hot lids and screw the rings on. (My mom taught me to put the washed clean jars on a cookie sheet in the oven at 250 degees and the lids in a pan of water on the stove on med low. The heat will seal the jars and you'll hear pings when they seal)

luvTooQuilt 11-10-2010 07:11 PM

Hmmm, never heard of that .. pretty neat..

Originally Posted by kristen0112

1 - 2 tsp cinnamon

Wash your fruit. Chop fruit UNPEELED in blender or food processor. Add sugar and cinnamon and cook until the mixture begins to 'plop' the bubbles will rise to the surface and slowly pop and make that plopping noise as they pop. Then place in hot jars, place hot lids and screw the rings on. (My mom taught me to put the washed clean jars on a cookie sheet in the oven at 250 degees and the lids in a pan of water on the stove on med low. The heat will seal the jars and you'll hear pings when they seal)

kristen0112 11-10-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Hmmm, never heard of that .. pretty neat..

Originally Posted by kristen0112

1 - 2 tsp cinnamon

It's the best jam - yum.

DeEtta 11-11-2010 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I canned quite a few pears the last couple of years. I cooked them in a light syrup and added a T. of red hots to each jar and then water bathed them for about 20 minutes. The red hots make them look really pretty and adds just a tiny bit of flavor to them.

LUANNH 11-11-2010 09:02 AM

DeEtta they look yummy I'll be right over LOL... LuAnn

luvTooQuilt 11-13-2010 07:48 PM

ohhhhhhh. may I have your canning recipe???? those look soooo yummy..

gardner 11-16-2010 09:42 AM

in the past w/ my apples, i've made the pie filling, put plastic wrap in the pie pan, then the filling, close it over and freeze it... maybe make 6-7 fillings... then when frozen, take them out of the pie pan, still wrapped in plastic and then into a zip lock and stack them in the freezer.

it can be fun trying to match the filling size with the pie pan used to freeze them, but it's sure easier later when baking to have the filling done. and... those pears do look wonderful! I've never tried the red hots but have heard about them and will try them also...