Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   I want a "soupy" chili recipe. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/i-want-soupy-chili-recipe-t210900.html)

Helen6869 01-13-2013 06:26 PM

I want a "soupy" chili recipe.

I like soupy chili, meaning it has lots of liquid. Does anyone have a good recipe for a chili that's like this? I can make thick ones but really aren't to my taste. Thanks so much!

QuiltE 01-13-2013 07:41 PM

Add more of the liquids you have in your preferred recipe ... or less of the beans/meat (or whatever you use).
Either ways ... you can get it more soupy!

Ellen 01-13-2013 07:49 PM

I cheat. I brown 1 lb. ground beef, add 1 envelope of McCormick Chili spices or Chili-O, 1 cup water, 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis, 2 cans Bush Pinto Beans with jalapeno slices and as much water as you need to make it lukey (or as you call it, soupy). Simmer for 1/2 hour or so while the jalapeno cornbread is baking. YUMMO

Recipe is from Texas MIL who cheated also. lol We've been making this for eons and it's always a hit.

Teacup 01-13-2013 08:30 PM

I don't use any one recipe, just add what I have. But my favorite base for chili is a large can of tomato juice, which starts me off with a lost of liquid. I brown either ground turkey or hamburger with onion, sometimes add green pepper, and drain off grease. Add your favorite chili seasonings. Add a large can of tomato juice and whatever else I have around: canned crushed tomatoes, frozen tomatoes we put up last summer from our garden, tomato paste, a can of Rotel if I want is spicy, whatever. Simmer for at least 30-45 minutes, then add 1 or 2 cans of chili beans or kidney beans and cook a bit longer. Add more water or tomato sauce if it's too thick. Keeping the lid on can keep the steam in resulting in thinner chili. Also, if I cook chili in the crock pot it is usually thinner, as the lid collects the steam rather than it evaporating.

judys 01-13-2013 09:09 PM

Sounds a lot like my non-recipe chili. I use a can of baked beans as my kids don't care for kidney or chili beans. I also add a little brown sugar to offset the acid taste of the tomatoes. Always get raves.

Originally Posted by Teacup (Post 5784669)
I don't use any one recipe, just add what I have. But my favorite base for chili is a large can of tomato juice, which starts me off with a lost of liquid. I brown either ground turkey or hamburger with onion, sometimes add green pepper, and drain off grease. Add your favorite chili seasonings. Add a large can of tomato juice and whatever else I have around: canned crushed tomatoes, frozen tomatoes we put up last summer from our garden, tomato paste, a can of Rotel if I want is spicy, whatever. Simmer for at least 30-45 minutes, then add 1 or 2 cans of chili beans or kidney beans and cook a bit longer. Add more water or tomato sauce if it's too thick. Keeping the lid on can keep the steam in resulting in thinner chili. Also, if I cook chili in the crock pot it is usually thinner, as the lid collects the steam rather than it evaporating.

SSTeacher 01-14-2013 04:05 AM

I use practically the same ingredients as Ellen and we like it. The envelope of Chili spices needs water to be added and you can add until you get it "soupy" enough. I also use the crushed tomatoes for taste.

solstice3 01-14-2013 05:27 AM

1 lb ground meat browned with finely chopped onions and green peppers to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can kidney beans
1 can great northern beans
1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 can of water
Need more juice add tomato or v8

misspriss 01-14-2013 04:53 PM

Mine is like everyone else's. I do add a whole dried pablano pepper and cumin. I really don't care for the heavy chili powder taste and these two fill the bill for me.

Helen6869 01-14-2013 05:23 PM

Thank you all for the great ideas. It just seems like when I add water it tastes like I added water. Just can't seem to keep the good chili flavor and get it really like soup. I added tomato sauce and water last time and it wasn't nearly like chili. More like tomato soup with beans. Any more ideas are welcome too!

Up North 01-14-2013 05:51 PM

Instead of water to thin it use tomato Juice. I like mine thicker but hubby does not like chunks of tomato so I use tomato juice and crushed tomatoes in mine.