Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Iced Tea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/iced-tea-t277537.html)

patiese1 04-08-2016 06:57 AM

Iced Tea

Hello
I remember seeing a tread about iced tea. I've looked for the tread and I can't find it . My husband say I'm an iced tea snob.So I want to make iced tea that I can use the next day without the old tea taste. Does any one have a recipe for unsweetened Iced tea? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

NJ Quilter 04-08-2016 07:51 AM

I've only just always boiled water, add about 6 tea bags and let steep for about 20-30 min. I do transfer to an empty water jug or such after. I've never noticed an 'old' taste to my tea. I use no sugar/sweeteners/lemon, etc. when either making or drinking so it's just plain old tea. All that said, for the last x number of years I've been purchasing commercially made unsweetened tea as DH does not like the 'strength' I make tea. He'll water that down as well.

lynnie 04-08-2016 08:05 AM

try sun tea. put water in a big jug and add 6 tea bags, nice flavor and energy wise, no waste. no aftertaste. maybe it's the tea bags you're using. good luck.

Quilty-Louise 04-08-2016 08:11 AM

Only iced tea I make is using my Mr. Coffee tea brewer. We have
been using the brewers since they came out, we even bought one
for the cabin.

ManiacQuilter2 04-08-2016 08:51 AM

I make a gallon of sun tea with 8 Lipton tea bags and two Good Earth tea bags. I got to figure out some way of making less. I never notice any day old taste.

butterfly48 04-08-2016 09:16 AM

I heat 2 cups of the water with the tea bags in it in the micowave for about 5 minuter then let it sit for a few minutes then add that to the rest of the gallon of water. I use kroger pitcher size bags ,put two for a gallon. That is what I drink all the time out of the frige.

quiltingcandy 04-08-2016 09:55 AM

Since I have the Keurig I have been using it to brew my tea. So far I have found that I like English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast best for my iced tea. This past week I found the China Mist Passion Fruit tea at Walmart and it makes wonderful iced tea too. I let the tea brew then cool. I found if I pour it over the ice when it is hot it loses the tea flavor.

Onebyone 04-08-2016 12:37 PM

I dislike sun tea, taste like old tea because it is after being left out in warm/hot for several hours. Bacteria is rampant in sun tea thus the old tea taste. I have sent many glasses of tea back at restaurants for the old taste. Many keep the tea in the maker over night. Not very smart. Fresh brewed tea has to be kept cold to keep. After room temp for several hours it's starting to turn. I use two pints of almost boiling water, add four family size tea bags, let steep for about 30 minutes, add water to make a gallon pitcher full, no sugar or sugar to taste. Put in fridge. At my house this lasts about a day and a half.

BluegrassGurl 04-08-2016 12:44 PM

I used to make sun tea in the 80's; however, stopped when I discovered that it harbors bacteria:

The 130°F or so that the water reaches is an ideal temperature for harboring (and growing) the bacteria commonly found in tap water. Without a boiling session to kill off this bacteria, there is the chance that they will grow in the sun tea. The caffeine in black tea does inhibit bacterial growth somewhat. (Herbal tea should never be used to make sun tea.)

tesspug 04-08-2016 01:31 PM

Tea has to kept in a glass container. IMHO if you keep it in plastic it developes an odd taste.