Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Lela"s Fried Pies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/lela%22s-fried-pies-t158969.html)

sash 10-08-2011 12:11 PM

Made apricot fried pies today from lela's recipe and they were very good. I made the apricot because I grew up eating my mama's apricot fried pies. Never got the knack for making them myself and several weeks ago I decided I was hungry for apriot fried pies and found lela's recipe on this board. I knew how to cook the apricots, but not amount of sugar, and didn't add the cinnamon or butter (well, just a little bit. lol, butter that is), but never got the recipe from mom re: the crust, she just said a pinch of that and a pinch of this. Anyway, they turned out really good, and the crust was very good. Just wanted to say Lela, if you are reading this, thanks a bunch and my dh thanks you.

suebee 10-08-2011 01:12 PM

Well this just made me hungry. Im not sure what a fried pie is, but Im going to look for that recipe now! Yummy

bluteddi 10-08-2011 01:57 PM

oh man.... I grew up on fried pies...... in a pinch we used a rolled out "canned" biscuit... no it's not as good as real crust ( homemade) but MY kids ( now grown) never complained.....

blueangel 10-09-2011 03:04 AM

I love frien pies like mama used to make.

Djohnson 10-09-2011 05:05 AM

Please post the re ripe again.

craftybear 10-09-2011 06:03 AM

can you post the recipe here for all of us

Originally Posted by sash
Made apricot fried pies today from lela's recipe and they were very good. I made the apricot because I grew up eating my mama's apricot fried pies. Never got the knack for making them myself and several weeks ago I decided I was hungry for apriot fried pies and found lela's recipe on this board. I knew how to cook the apricots, but not amount of sugar, and didn't add the cinnamon or butter (well, just a little bit. lol, butter that is), but never got the recipe from mom re: the crust, she just said a pinch of that and a pinch of this. Anyway, they turned out really good, and the crust was very good. Just wanted to say Lela, if you are reading this, thanks a bunch and my dh thanks you.

dreamgirl 10-09-2011 06:19 AM

Oh, how I miss those apricot fried pies! My mother-in-law
used to make stacks of them when the kids were coming to visit. She's been gone for 20 yrs and we still talk about
those pies. Just wish I had gotten her recipe. :P

stichinluvr 10-09-2011 07:42 AM

http://www.southernplate.com/2009/07...ried-pies.html

found this through search. It is from Craftybear.

Tinabug 10-09-2011 12:35 PM

Being from Texas, we always had fried pies. My favorite was the apricot. My mil made chocolate fried pies, her boys always loved them. I don't care for chocolate so never did try to make them. I made blackberry, peach, apricot.

Here's my fried pie crust -
3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup Crisco or other good vegetable shortening
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1/4 cup cold water
• 1 teaspoon white vinegar
Note: sometimes I add 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg to flour.
Mix together the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender, fork, your hands, or whatever method works best for you, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir together the beaten egg with the water and sprinkle over flour mixture. Sprinkle in the vinegar, mixing lightly, until ingredients are well combined. Form the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and cut it into four equal pieces. You can then cut each of the four pieces into three equal pieces, leaving you with 12 golf-ball-size dough balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 5- to 6-inch circle. Your circles do not have to be perfect, and ragged edges are okay.

Put 2 generous tablespoons of filling onto one side of the circle of dough. Seal the pie by wetting the inside edge of the dough with water (use your finger), and then fold over the dough, making the familiar half-moon-shaped pie. Make sure the edges of the dough are even, and press and crimp to insure a good seal. You can use a fork to give you a bit of a decorative edge if you like. You can also correct the more ragged edges during this step because the dough is pliable. Just make sure the filling is sealed in and any holes in the dough are crimped.
You can deep fry or pan fry. If you pan fry you just need to turn the pies.

marjean36 10-09-2011 01:17 PM

My mom was the BEST fried pie "maker". She made it all from scratch. Whatever was in season at the time or what she had canned was what she used inside. We did have chocolate ones to. Friends at school who did not bring their lunch were very willing to trade anything for her pies. That was the "good ole days". Marjean