Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Lentil Sausage Soup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/lentil-sausage-soup-t163111.html)

kso 10-25-2011 09:06 AM

Found this recipe on allrecipes.com. I added a couple of sliced Louisiana style sausages to it and it was great. I deleted the lemon.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste

1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
1 cup red lentils
1 large carrot, diced

2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1 pinch chili powder or red pepper flakes

Directions
1.Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion has turned golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, kosher salt, black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of chili powder. Cook and stir 2 minutes more until the spices are fragrant.
2.Stir in the chicken broth, lentils, and carrot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
3.Pour half of the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Do not puree all of the soup, leave it a little chunky.
4.Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro, then season to taste with salt. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of chili powder to serve.

Judy Gail 10-25-2011 09:15 AM

Sounds good. Thanks for posting.

Judy

dixiebelle162002 10-25-2011 02:41 PM

sounds tasty!

Nana Julie 10-26-2011 03:01 AM

We eat this alot. Except without the last 4 ingredients. We have also found a Lentil Leek and Sausage Soup that is heavenly. The recipe can be found at Food Network, in Ina Garten's section, it's her recipe.

blueangel 10-26-2011 04:39 AM

Sounds good

Evie 10-26-2011 07:21 AM

Where's the sausage?

moroni 10-26-2011 08:31 AM

I love soup. Any kind of soup. This one sounds like one I would really enjoy. Thank you for sharing. I think I would leave off the last 4 ingredients, too for my taste. This is the chilly time of year when there's nothing like soup.

quiltymom 10-27-2011 08:33 AM

Thanks!!!!

Nana Julie 10-27-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Evie
Where's the sausage?

My recipe calls for 1 pound smoked sausage cut lengthwise then cut into slices.

kso 10-28-2011 09:11 AM

Sausage is in the first line of the message!