Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Lentil Soup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/lentil-soup-t299985.html)

tranum 10-04-2018 02:13 PM

Lentil Soup

Lentils are good for fiber, protein and not bad for carbs. Found the recipe in an old cookbook, froze half for “no cook” day. Will be making it again, it’s that good and may substitute ham for ground beef.

Hamburger & Lentil Soup

8 cups hot water in Dutch Oven. Add 2 cups chopped cabbage, 2 cups diced carrots, 2 cups diced celery, 1 cup chopped onion, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp pepper, 2 cups lentils that have been washed. Recipe says add 48 oz tomato juice but I used about 24 oz. because it’s all I had. Brown 1.5 lbs ground beef, drain and add. Bring to boil, reduce heat - Simmer 90 minutes.

I actually put all in extra large crockpot overnight except meat and tomato juice. Those I added next day. Salt to taste.

nativetexan 10-05-2018 05:52 AM

sounds good. can't buy any beef right now due to recalls.

NoraB 10-05-2018 08:49 AM

it's a cloudy day and kind of cold. This recipe sounds yummy!

abc123xyz 10-05-2018 09:52 AM

I presume you are talking about dry lentils. Do you soak them first or use them straight out of the package? When preparing dry beans I usually soak them but have not used lentils so I am just wondering. The soup sounds yummy.

misseva 10-05-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by abc123xyz (Post 8138195)
I presume you are talking about dry lentils. Do you soak them first or use them straight out of the package? When preparing dry beans I usually soak them but have not used lentils so I am just wondering. The soup sounds yummy.

Lentils cook so quickly there is no need to soak before cooking. When I make lentil soup I only use lentils, ground beef, bell pepper, onion and celery and V-8 juice.

tranum 10-05-2018 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by abc123xyz (Post 8138195)

As misseva said, no need to presoak dry lentils (unlike dry beans).

jokir44 10-05-2018 03:28 PM

Try adding some chopped spinach to it either fresh or frozen. I really like it that way.

meanmom 10-06-2018 05:04 AM

This sounds good. I also have some lentils in the pantry. Mother Nature seems to have forgotten that it is Fall here. It is supposed to go up to nearly 90 degrees most of the week. Next weekend it is supposed to cool off. I will have to make it then. Thanks.

Dakota Rose 10-06-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8138066)
sounds good. can't buy any beef right now due to recalls.

Buy from a store that grinds their own and don't buy pre packaged and you will be fine.

Dakota Rose 10-06-2018 08:29 AM

We make it with cut up hotdogs and what ever veggies you have on hand. Fast and easy meal.