Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking for lost recipe for hot fudge ice cream topping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-lost-recipe-hot-fudge-ice-cream-topping-t282009.html)

Just Jan 09-07-2016 01:19 PM

Looking for lost recipe for hot fudge ice cream topping

I had an ice cream topping recipe from my sister (who is no longer living) and I've lost her recipe. I have looked and looked online and can't find it. Here is what it contained... One can Evaporated (not condensed) milk, cocoa powder, sugar (not sure if it was granulated or powdered sugar), butter and vanilla. It did not contain flour, or choc. chips, or corn syrup. It gets cooked until thick and bubbly. Not sure when the butter is added. I have checked the Hershey's cocoa can and Pet and Carnation websites. I though I had found the recipe, but then it said to put it in a blender... not the recipe I want. Perhaps someone might have it in an old recipe book? Thanks. Jan

LindaJ 09-08-2016 03:26 AM

Cooks.com has a hot fudge sauce made with your ingrediants.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ir4pk7kx...dge-sauce.html

illinois 09-08-2016 05:07 AM

This one has been in my recipe box for some time. No cocoa but sharing with you.

2-4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 c butter
1/2 tsp salt
3 c sugar
1 large can evaporated milk
Melt chocolate, butter and salt in double boiler. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with the milk and stirring well after each addition. Continue stirring until well mixed. Serve hot over ice cream. Makes 3 cups. Store in refrigerator.

Just Jan 09-08-2016 05:13 AM

Thanks Linda, but that one is different, It contains corn syrup. I might try it anyway and use 1 cup of sugar, but I'm not sure of the conversion. It also calls for 2/3 cup of evaporated milk. My sister's recipe called for a 12 oz. can which is 3/4 cup. Was hoping someone might have it in an old recipe book.

Just Jan 09-08-2016 05:59 AM

Illinois, three 1 oz. squares of unsweetended chocolate is equal to 1/4 cup cocoa powder + 3 TB. butter.
Sounds pretty close to Freda's recipe.

I'll try it substituting 1/4 cup cocoa and leave the butter at 1 stick. (I know Freda's recipe called for even amounts like that.) Will use 3 c. sugar, 1 can evaporated milk, dash salt, and tsp. vanilla. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks.

Just Jan 09-08-2016 07:03 AM

OK, I'm back with the results... needed to increase the cocoa powder to 1/2 cup (and next time I'll cut the sugar back to 2 cups.) Used 1 stick butter, 12 oz. can evaporated milk, salt and vanilla. I mixed the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Melted the butter in the bottom of a sauce pan, & added the milk. Slowly added the dry ingredients stirring well as I added them. Cooked over med heat, stirring often, until it came to a rolling boil; then boiled it for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Its too sweet for my taste, buy other than that its good. Thanks again.

Quiltlove 09-09-2016 03:27 AM

I used to make this all the time when the kids were little. I would mix 1/2 cup cocoa with 1 1/2 cups regular sugar in a sauce pan. Then stir in the can of evaporated milk. Stir constantly and bring to a boil. Have a cup of water on the side while cooking. I would continue cooking until the mixture would come to a soft ball when a little was dropped in the the water and could retain it's shape. When finished, I would add just a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of vanilla and serve hot over ice cream. When the hot mixture hits the ice cream it gets chewy and the kids loved that. Never really saw an exact recipe for this. Give it a whirl.

coopah 09-09-2016 05:16 AM

This isn't made with evaporated milk, but it's good and might be similar to what you'd like.

Here's my recipe (from my Mom):
Chocolate topping-with or without peanut butter
1 pinch salt
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. Cocoa
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch (*rounded if not using peanut butter)
Mix these together in a sauce pan.

ADD:
1 c. Boiling water
Stir and bring mixture to a boil
ADD 1 Tbsp. Butter and
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
Stir until thickened, pour into jar and keeps 2-3 weeks in refrigerator)

*iIf desired add 3 Tbsp. Of peanut butter

Just Jan 09-09-2016 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltlove (Post 7648400)
I used to make this all the time when the kids were little. I would mix 1/2 cup cocoa with 1 1/2 cups regular sugar in a sauce pan. Then stir in the can of evaporated milk. Stir constantly and bring to a boil. Have a cup of water on the side while cooking. I would continue cooking until the mixture would come to a soft ball when a little was dropped in the the water and could retain it's shape. When finished, I would add just a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of vanilla and serve hot over ice cream. When the hot mixture hits the ice cream it gets chewy and the kids loved that. Never really saw an exact recipe for this. Give it a whirl.

I do believe that's it! I have tried several recipes and currently have over a quart in jars. Wonder if I could mix them together and recook and turn it into fudge?

Pennyhal 09-18-2016 10:22 AM

The additon of corn syrup prevents the sugar from forming crystals. Apparently as little as 1 tablespoon will fix the crystaling problem if you have that problem.