Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking for ole fashion potatoe soup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-ole-fashion-potatoe-soup-t119860.html)

btiny36 04-30-2011 09:17 AM

Ok, now I have spent the morning going through the list of recipes here on the list, but what I'm looking for is a recipe that will come close to what my Grandmother use to make in the pressure cooker...anyone here know what I'm talking about...all she used was cream, potatoes, salt and pepper and I'm guessing flour...put all the ingridients into the pressure cooker and soon it was done...I would like to use the crock pot instead cause the pressure cooker thing scares the heck out of me....but does anyone have the recipe for the pressure cooker potatoe soup? I will keep searching Grandma's cook books, hopefully something will be found....

shawnemily 04-30-2011 10:24 AM

My grandma always used evaporated milk and this one does too. I dont know if it is what you want....

http://www.nancyskitchen.com/2009Aug...up-recipe.html

bluteddi 04-30-2011 10:37 AM

I've never heard of pressure cooked potatoe soup.. but I make mine:
1.peel and boil potatoes ( as if to make mashed potatoes)
while potatoes are cooking I like to saute some chopped onions ( green is best but use what you have) in butter til translucent.
2. drain potatoes
3. add a stick of butter ( I make a BIG pot full )
4. coursely mash potatoes
5. add sauted onions
6. add milk until a bit thinner than mashed potatoes
7. simmer until desired thickness ( add more milk if u want it thinner)
opt.... I like to add a little roasted/minced garlice or garlic powder too

tmw 04-30-2011 10:56 AM

thiis is how i make mine, but i cook the onions and some celery in with the potaoes,

btiny36 04-30-2011 11:14 AM

Yeppers Shawnemily thats pretty darn close to Grandma's....so Here is what I did, as I can't seem to find the ole pressure cooker...I boiled 4 cubed potatoes, with 1 medium onion cut up in 3 cups of water for 5 minutes. Then I added 2 cups of canned milk (Carnation) and 2 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespooon parsley, ground pepper and salt to taste and boiled for 3 minutes more. Then I added 2tablespoons of flour (mix with alittle water so it is alittle thin) add to soup to thicken just a bit....serve...I sort is close to Grandma's, but I think the key is the pressure cooker...but the men love it.....
Thanks everyone for helping me....Oh by the way there is no mashing of potatoes.........

CarrieAnne 04-30-2011 11:50 AM

yum! Sounds good, as its still cold here!

shawnemily 04-30-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36
Yeppers Shawnemily thats pretty darn close to Grandma's....so Here is what I did, as I can't seem to find the ole pressure cooker...I boiled 4 cubed potatoes, with 1 medium onion cut up in 3 cups of water for 5 minutes. Then I added 2 cups of canned milk (Carnation) and 2 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespooon parsley, ground pepper and salt to taste and boiled for 3 minutes more. Then I added 2tablespoons of flour (mix with alittle water so it is alittle thin) add to soup to thicken just a bit....serve...I sort is close to Grandma's, but I think the key is the pressure cooker...but the men love it.....
Thanks everyone for helping me....Oh by the way there is no mashing of potatoes.........

Now I am hungry for Grandma Susie's potato soup!!! She used to make it for me for lunch. I would walk from school to her house and gobble it down and have to run back to make it on time!!! Thank you for bringing back the memories!

moonwork42029 04-30-2011 11:58 AM

I'm pretty lazy..

chop bacon into small pieces and brown it slightly then add
chopped celery, onions & shredded baby carrots (for color)& some minced garlic

Saute all of this in a cube of butter

add 2 cups chicken stock/broth from can

3 or 4 cans of diced potatoes

1 big can evap milk

simmer for a little while

thicken with instant potatoes

flavor with cheddar cheese if desired

wanda lou 04-30-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I've never heard of pressure cooked potatoe soup.. but I make mine:
1.peel and boil potatoes ( as if to make mashed potatoes)
while potatoes are cooking I like to saute some chopped onions ( green is best but use what you have) in butter til translucent.
2. drain potatoes
3. add a stick of butter ( I make a BIG pot full )
4. coursely mash potatoes
5. add sauted onions
6. add milk until a bit thinner than mashed potatoes
7. simmer until desired thickness ( add more milk if u want it thinner)
opt.... I like to add a little roasted/minced garlice or garlic powder too

very close to my recipe sounds wonderful, I crumble bacon on top.

Janie Q 04-30-2011 05:25 PM

New fangled recipe but nice and creamy-
2 cans beef broth
1 package frozen hashbrowns - any kind
1 package country gravy mix
Mix all ingredients and cook till desired consistency. The
longer you cook the softer the potatos get. Its an old weight watchers recipe.