Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking for a winning desert. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-winning-desert-t280481.html)

quilterj 07-16-2016 12:47 PM

Looking for a winning desert.

At my company picnic this year we are having a bake off for deserts. I am looking for something different and that I may have a chance to win.

tessagin 07-16-2016 02:13 PM

Haven'tbaked in so long I have no clue. sorry, I'm just going to see who comes up with what.

Onebyone 07-16-2016 03:01 PM

This won me a Best in Show ribbon at the local fair two years ago in the baking dept.

Oatmeal Cake w/ Peanut Butter Fudge Frosting

Step 1
1 C. oatmeal
1 1/2 C. hot water
Step 2
1 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
1 Stick butter
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Step 3
1 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
FROSTING
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 C brown sugar
4 T. water
2 T vanilla extract (You MUST use 2 TABLESPOONS)
1 1/3 C. Peanut butter

Step 1: pour water over oatmeal and let sit for 5 minutes
Step 2: Cream all ingredients together. Add step one.
Step 3: Add all the step 3 ingredients to Step 2, mixing thoroughly. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30-40 minutes depending on oven. Cake is done when knife inserted comes out clean.
Frosting: Bring all ingredients, except peanut butter to a boil for 1-2 minutes stirring. Take off heat and add peanut butter and stir until smooth. Pour hot frosting over hot cake. Frosting will not be real thick, but will set up as the cake cools.

Start the fudge during the last 5 minutes the cake is baking and pour over the cake the second it comes out. If you use a clear glass Pyrex to bake the cake, you can watch the fudge seep down the side.

JENNR8R 07-17-2016 04:35 AM

This recipe was a Pillsbury cookoff winner one year. I've made them several times, and they are yummy.

Chewy Chocolate-Peanut Butter Bars

1 18 oz. package Pillsbury Refrigerated Sugar Cookies
1 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk (not evaporated)
1 cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 egg yolks
1 12 oz. package (2 cups) Semisweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray 9 x 13” pan with nonstick cooking spray
Cut cookie dough in half crosswise
Cut each section in half lengthwise
With floured fingers, press dough in bottom of sprayed pan to form crust
Bake for 10 minutes
In medium bowl, combine condensed milk, peanut butter, vanilla and egg yolks
Mix until smooth
Remove crust from oven
Spoon mixture evenly over partially baked crust
Carefully spread
Return to oven and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until set
Remove from oven
Sprinkle with chocolate chips
Let stand three minutes to soften
Spread chocolate evenly over the top
Cool on a rack on the counter for 1½ hours or until completely cooled
Put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set the chocolate
Cut into bars
Makes 36 bars

juliea9967 07-17-2016 05:42 AM

This sounds delicious, but I don't see how you make the fudge.

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7603294)
This won me a Best in Show ribbon at the local fair two years ago in the baking dept.

Oatmeal Cake w/ Peanut Butter Fudge Frosting

Step 1
1 C. oatmeal
1 1/2 C. hot water
Step 2
1 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
1 Stick butter
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Step 3
1 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
FROSTING
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 C brown sugar
4 T. water
2 T vanilla extract (You MUST use 2 TABLESPOONS)
1 1/3 C. Peanut butter

Step 1: pour water over oatmeal and let sit for 5 minutes
Step 2: Cream all ingredients together. Add step one.
Step 3: Add all the step 3 ingredients to Step 2, mixing thoroughly. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30-40 minutes depending on oven. Cake is done when knife inserted comes out clean.
Frosting: Bring all ingredients, except peanut butter to a boil for 1-2 minutes stirring. Take off heat and add peanut butter and stir until smooth. Pour hot frosting over hot cake. Frosting will not be real thick, but will set up as the cake cools.

Start the fudge during the last 5 minutes the cake is baking and pour over the cake the second it comes out. If you use a clear glass Pyrex to bake the cake, you can watch the fudge seep down the side.

paoberle 07-17-2016 06:24 AM

Go to PBS.org/Britishbakingshow. I love this program and they have posted lots of the recipes.

osewme 07-17-2016 07:09 AM

These both sound delicious! I think they are calling the frosting and the fudge the same thing in the recipe but I could be wrong.

Onebyone 07-17-2016 08:18 AM

The frosting turns into fudge. Fudge Frosting. It is not a detailed recipe for cookbooks. It was given to me handwritten from a caterer's baking notes.

mac 07-17-2016 09:41 AM

My mom had a recipe from her mom for a chocolate fudge frosting. It was wonderful and easy to make.

I have made it for years, then about 10 years ago, I noticed that it just doesn't come out the same anymore. It is still good, but it seems to crystalize more than it used to. Before, when it set is had a very smooth texture, just like fudge, but now it sets, but the smoothness is gone and it doesn't melt in your mouth like it did long ago.
I wonder why?

red-warrior 07-17-2016 09:41 AM

Thank you both for sharing new recipes!