Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Macaroni and Cheese (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/macaroni-cheese-t187202.html)

Sweeterthanwine 04-25-2012 08:07 PM

Macaroni and Cheese

Does anyone have a good and easy homemade recipe for Mac and Cheese? I made one from the internet and it was okay but I really didn't like it all that much. Maybe some of you have some tried and true recipes.

Grammie Sharon 04-26-2012 03:57 AM

MMM I'ld like to find one too.

puppy 04-26-2012 04:52 AM

my family really likes the one on the back of creamettes ...i dont add the dry mustard though..

elm 04-26-2012 05:51 AM

What would be truly wonderful would be a good tasting mac and cheese recipe that was also heart healthy. I crave mac and cheese but don't give in because I'm overweight but healthy and want to be careful while I figure out how to get my weight down and keep it off. I've lost the same weight so may times it would make a whole person.

JENNR8R 04-26-2012 05:55 AM

This is the recipe that I have been using for 40 years. My kids always ask for it on their birthday. I read somewhere that the secret for being a great cook is to add more cheese. :)

Old-Fashioned Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz. box elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons finely-chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 cups (or more) grated cheese (okay, I've used 4 cups)
2 cups Thin White Sauce

Heat oven to 375 degrees - cook macaroni as directed on package - combine macaroni, onion, salt, pepper and cheese in a two-quart ungreased casserole, stir - pour white sauce over casserole - cover - bake 30 minutes with cover - remove cover - bake 15 more minutes.

Thin White Sauce

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat - blend in flour, salt and pepper - cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly - remove from heat - stir in milk - heat to boiling, stirring constantly - boil and stir one minute.

rocklady 04-26-2012 05:59 AM

This is one I "kind of" got from my aunt. She lived on a farm and had real cream so I had to revise it.

3 c. dry macaroni, cooked and drained
1 stick oleo or butter
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
(Kraft Cracker Barrel Vermont white cheddar)
1 pt. half & half or 1 large can Carnation milk
3 tsp. salt
Pepper

Mix together in blue enamel roaster pan.
Cover with slices of Velveeta cheese - twice.
Bake for 15 min. until cheese is melted, stir in.
Cover with slices of Velveeta cheese the second time.
Bake for 15 min. and stir in.

Bake covered at 350 for total of one hour.
Add more milk, cream or cheese if needed.
This makes a big batch but when I take it to potlucks or for my family, there isn't much left.
Hope it works for you.

Sandra-P 04-26-2012 06:56 AM

Now I know what I am making for dinner tonight! Thank you for posting.

alwayslearning 04-26-2012 07:03 AM

JENNR8R, your recipe sounds wonderful. Looking forward to trying it. Love onions!

Ann S. 04-26-2012 07:28 AM

Here's how I make baked mac & cheese. I get the cheapest mac & cheese mix I can find. Then, boil the macaroni in salted water. Drain. Butter a casserole dish. In dish, mix with a fork, powdered cheese from mix, an egg, and 1/2 cup milk. Pepper to taste. Add cooked noodles and 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Mix again with fork. Add enough milk to meet top of noodles. Stir again with fork. Sprinkle 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese on top and dot with butter or margarine. Bake uncovered at 350 for 1/2 hr. Yummy.

JENNR8R 04-26-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P (Post 5171207)
Now I know what I am making for dinner tonight! Thank you for posting.

I believe the onions are the secret ingredient in this recipe. Sometimes my kids want crumbled bacon on top... but they don't have a weight problem... yet! I have one serving and pack up the leftovers up for them to take home!

Oops... I meant to quote "alwayslearning's" comment about the onions.