Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Make Ahead Foods for Post Surgery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/make-ahead-foods-post-surgery-t113935.html)

creativesheila 04-06-2011 06:46 AM

Ok y'all. Please share your favorite recipe that can be made ahead. I am having knee replacement surgery and I want to stock the fridge. Thanks for helping.

Heartwarming quilts 04-06-2011 07:55 AM

Did you set up your projects to do while sitting after surgery. There is usually no machine sewing after surg. for at least a couple of weeks. Lots of ellavating and ice!!!

plainpat 04-06-2011 11:14 AM

I have an up coming surgery date & have been busy getting the house cleaned (won't be able to do much) & stocking the freezer & pantry.

I freeze diff types of meats & veggies.I rely on my oven,meat & veggies in same pan.Add bread or salad & done.

Lunch is a simple sandwich or soup. Good luck with your TKR surgery.

quiltmaker 04-06-2011 01:19 PM

Spagetti, Lasagna, Meatloaf, Cabbage Rolls, Stews, Casseroles anything you normally make could be made up and frozen in the portions you would need. You could cook chicken, and most meats to freeze and just have to thaw and either heat in the microwave or your oven. Make up a nice salad before your surgery so you can enjoy that for awhile. Just let your imagination help you come up with things you know you will enjoy. There are truly so many options for you. Family and friends can help keep you stocked up on perishables like fresh fruit and bread, milk, whatever. I'm sure many people wouldn't mind preparing a meal here and there for you. It really won't be that much of a problem for you as you are already planning ahead. Wishing you all the best!

olebat 04-07-2011 03:11 AM

I'm in for ideas on this one too, for the same reason. I was sort of thinking I'd have the hubbie wait on me, to include the cooking, but he says he'll be at work. :-(

fmd36 04-07-2011 04:07 AM

Timely.,going for probable breast removal. Frozen veggies, chicken pieces, small steaks will be helpful. Thankfully women at church get together and provide meals on a continuing round robin. Also DD lives nearby. DH is a good cook but not that good about cleaning up, even though the dishwasher works. His problem is he tends to let it pile up. Pray for successful surgery for you ...and me. fmd36

creativesheila 04-07-2011 05:06 AM

Thanks to all for the great ideas and well wishes. Best wishes and fast recoveries to those of you also having surgery.
I am going to do some hand piecing because I don't want to wait to get started on my new project. I have always been a machine piecer but I am making a sampler quilt with each block representing a quilting novel that I have read. I participate in a book club on the forum. It's called creativesheila:quiltnovelmusings. There are 7 of us (I think) and we have a great itme. Join us if you are interested.

plainpat 04-07-2011 05:19 AM

Thinking about what I'll be making to have for 1st few days after surgery.Veg soup,baked spaghetti casserole (in freezer),eggs for frittata,potatoes bolied,peeled & diced in fridge,cookies,bread for toast,large jug of juice....milk.

Jello is easy to make,along with frozen fruit & veggies.

plainpat 04-07-2011 06:15 AM

Aren't ppl funny? DH is just the oppisite.....can't cook a thing. Last time I had surgery, he asked if I wanted a fried egg for supper :) 2nd day,I peeled potatoes & put them in baking pan along with round steak,onions & carrots.Still sitting, I had him get pan out when done & made gravy.
He's great at keeping place cleaned up, but we'd starve if cooking was up to him.Best of luck if you need surgery.

Originally Posted by fmd36
Timely.,going for probable breast removal. Frozen veggies, chicken pieces, small steaks will be helpful. Thankfully women at church get together and provide meals on a continuing round robin. Also DD lives nearby. DH is a good cook but not that good about cleaning up, even though the dishwasher works. His problem is he tends to let it pile up. Pray for successful surgery for you ...and me. fmd36

PMHBickford 04-07-2011 06:42 AM

Make soup chicken or beef or whatever you like put into containers for one serving then heat in microwave oven or however is best for you. this is for just one as I live alone. I am having second knee done next week three months past having other knee done.