Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Mexican Vanilla (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/mexican-vanilla-t163909.html)

jane65us 10-29-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bibliogirl
Have any of you used Mexican vanilla in a recipe? Does it change the taste? I bought a large bottle in San Antonio, TX, but I am not sure how to use it.

I have used it, it's just like any other pure Vanilla.. my son brought it back from Mexico... no problems. Taste just fine!!

maggiemuggins 10-29-2011 08:31 PM

My DIL in the UK introduced me to vanilla pods...you can buy them in the store and they are to die for..you open the pod and scrape out the vanilla...it is wonderful tasting..she couldnt believe that I had never seen vanilla pods before LOL

babindg12200 10-29-2011 09:12 PM

It is sssssooooooo much better than ours. You have to use it. If not send it to me. hehehehe

Alondra 10-30-2011 04:29 AM

La Vencedora is the best brand. Mexican vanilla is water-based, rather than alcohol-based, so it doesn't cook out like American vanilla does. I've used it for 40 years and wouldn't use anything else. It doesn't taste different, unless you mean better. :)

Also, I keep a tall, skinny glass container with sugar with a couple of vanilla beans in it. That way I always have vanilla sugar handy. The vanilla beans last a long time, so you can just replace the sugar as needed.

Anna O 10-30-2011 07:00 AM

My mom's favorite! If you can get your hands on it, go for it.

Rann 10-30-2011 07:34 AM

Love it. Buy it when I have a source to get it. It is sold in liquor stores in Mexico (or was). My oldest daughter tries to steal all I have. The younger DD can't stand it. Go figure.

Farm Quilter 10-30-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
I have never used it, but my neighbor uses nothing else. She said it is stronger and has a better taste. I have eaten some of the things she has baked and it was very good. She uses the amount called for.

LOVE it! My DH bought some when we were in Mexico a few years ago and it was fabulous!!! :cry: all gone now

Caswews 10-30-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Use it just like regular vanilla. I use it all the time. I get mine from Penzey's spices, not from mexico, but it's called mexican vanilla, so I can only assume it's similar.

Love Love Penzey's spices !! I go there whenever we go to Denver and I stock up on Spices !! Love their stuff ...

Jim's Gem 10-30-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Noiseynana

Originally Posted by Bibliogirl
Have any of you used Mexican vanilla in a recipe? Does it change the taste? I bought a large bottle in San Antonio, TX, but I am not sure how to use it.

I have used it. Don't like the flavor at all. Mine came from Mexico from a friend. They sell it at the liquor stores. It has an odd taste to me, but thats just me. I used it just like the US vanilla. At least I did. Good luck and hope you like it.

That's how I feel. My 3rd DD brought some home from the Dominican Republic and it had the same weird taste. I gave it to my oldest DD.

reginalovesfabric 10-31-2011 05:01 AM

that I all I use I did get it when I traveled to Mexico but now I buy it at a local Mexican market here in Hburg
Be careful, it's strong don't use too much