Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   micorwave pea nut brittle recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/micorwave-pea-nut-brittle-recipe-t258469.html)

quilterd 12-19-2014 05:04 PM

micorwave pea nut brittle recipe

what you got ?

ladydukes 12-20-2014 10:38 AM

I'm getting my DSIL recipe, and I'll post it. She lives in "peanut country" in TX, and has THE best recipe!!

SewExtremeSeams 12-20-2014 10:42 AM

Looking forward to your recipe, ladydukes. Anything microwave sounds so much easier than standing over a stove and stirring. I make microwave fudge and it is just so easy.

Snooze2978 12-20-2014 11:05 AM

My mother made nooked peanut brittle but it would come out different each time. Some times gooey, sometimes just right and another time so hard I broke a crown on it. She no longer makes peanut brittle.

beateannkeith 12-20-2014 05:10 PM

Ladydukes - Please share your DSIL recipe with me too.

glorcour 12-21-2014 04:59 AM

It is easy but you must be organized and fast. I have everything premeasured and ready to dump in. Put the parchment onto the cookie sheet.

In a large glass container (I use a 4 cup measuring cup - smaller is not adequate - to have a cool handle and lots of room for the boiling) put 1/2 cup of light corn syrup and 1 cup white sugar. Mix this together thoroughly
Heat on high for 4 min.
Remove and add 1 cup salted redskin peanuts but cashews are good too.
Heat for an additional 3 minutes.
Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 TABLESPOON butter and blend in (getting sticky now)
Heat for another 1 minute
Now here is where you must be really fast.
Add 1 tsp of baking soda and stir quickly and pour onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spread it out as you pour. let it cool and then break into bits.

IT IS REALLY ADDICTIVE AND MAKES A GREAT GIFT FOR NEIGHBOURS, FRIENDS, CO-WORKERS. It is a favourite of ours

I have a high powered microwave and these times work for me.
Try these times for the first attempt and adjust accordingly for the next batch.

Try it

Gloria in Toronto

dd 12-21-2014 05:27 AM

I think that's the recipe I always used. You're right, everyone loves it.

Wanabee Quiltin 12-21-2014 05:41 AM

This is the recipe I have used for years. I also change the peanuts to various forms of nuts: pecan, mixed nuts, macadamia with some coconut added. It has a wonderful flavor. I found that I really need a good glass bowl that is nice and even sided so that the mixture cooks all over and I can handle with one handle well. It is really hot when it is finished.

lbc 12-21-2014 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by glorcour;7p16108
It is easy but you must be organized and fast. I have everything premeasured and ready to dump in. Put the parchment onto the cookie sheet.

In a large glass container (I use a 4 cup measuring cup - smaller is not adequate - to have a cool handle and lots of room for the boiling) put 1/2 cup of light corn syrup and 1 cup white sugar. Mix this together thoroughly
Heat on high for 4 min.
Remove and add 1 cup salted redskin peanuts but cashews are good too.
Heat for an additional 3 minutes.
Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 TABLESPOON butter and blend in (getting sticky now)
Heat for another 1 minute
Now here is where you must be really fast.
Add 1 tsp of baking soda and stir quickly and pour onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spread it out as you pour. let it cool and then break into bits.

IT IS REALLY ADDICTIVE AND MAKES A GREAT GIFT FOR NEIGHBOURS, FRIENDS, CO-WORKERS. It is a favourite of ours

I have a high powered microwave and these times work for me.
Try these times for the first attempt and adjust accordingly for the next batch.

Try it

Gloria in Toronto

I used to do demos for Litton microwaves and this is the recipe we used except the butter and vanilla were added at the end with the soda being the last ingredient and not returned to the microwave. Because all MW are different also gauge time by the color. Needs to be a nice golden brown after you add the peanuts. Once you figure out your MW times can be used. Also I suggest the 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup. A handle is really essential because it gets very hot. Raw peanuts are best but I have used them right out of the planters peanut can.

sdeaaz 12-21-2014 03:09 PM

BEWARE every microwave is different.... you should see my original recipe as I have made it over the years in 3 different microwaves..... and I must admit I have burned a few batches.. I love this recipe... 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup each Karo ( don't buy cheap stuff) and water . Microwave for 7 minutes.... then dump in 1 cup raw Spanish peanuts, microwave 6 more minutes, then add 1 T vanilla microwave 3 minutes.... take out and add 1 t baking soda... work fast and stir until thoroughly mixed and foamy... spread on buttered cookie sheet or pizza pan... I spread mine out ( as I don't like it really thick)..... As mentioned above use a large glass bowl... I like the 2 quart pampered chef bowl with handle.... Be very careful... this syrup is very hot and you can really burn yourself... you will need to soak your bowl as it is hard as a rock when cools....... this brittle is not at all sticky... and always gets compliments. Good luck.