Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Mincemeat Pie for Christmas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/mincemeat-pie-christmas-t308615.html)

tropit 12-15-2019 05:19 AM

Mincemeat Pie for Christmas

Every year I try to suggest a mincemeat pie in for the Christmas dessert, but I'm always overruled. I guess that no one seems to like it. (Frankly, I don't think that anyone in my family has ever even had a mincemeat pie. They think that it's made out of meat.) But for me, mincemeat pie was a tradition growing up and I've missed it terribly. This year, I just ignored everyone else and started making a mincemeat filling for a pie. I have a small, old, pie pan that will hold a half-size pie. If no one likes it, that's ok, I can just eat the whole thing myself.

I did make some concessions on the flavors though. There's no brandy in this pie recipe. I used orange liqueur instead, so it's not so heady. I don't have the recipe handy, but basically, it's just your choice of dried fruit s/a raisins, chopped apricots, chopped, dried mangos and some fresh, chopped apples all mixed with some sugar, orange liqueur and Christmasy spices. I covered it tightly and put it in the fridge and I've been stirring it every day. It's smelling pretty good! I'm planning to add some chopped nuts when it goes into the pie and just a little bit of thickener s/a arrowroot, or tapioca.

I think that they did add meat a couple of hundred years ago, but that has long been eliminated in today's recipes. Some people will still add suet, but I don't see a need for that.

~C

Rhonda K 12-15-2019 05:32 AM

We used to have that pie on the holiday table as a child. Then DMIL would make one just for FIL with the jar mm filling. I did enjoy a slice.

It will be interesting if anyone tries your pie. Call it spiced apples or something different instead of mm. I do think the name is a possible reason for avoidance.

my-ty 12-15-2019 06:07 AM

Make mincemeat tarts instead. We add lots of applesauce or chopped apples which mellows the taste. Or try the mincemeat and cranberry tarts from food.com. Best served warm (just reheat before serving) with a side of ice cream.

JustRetired 12-15-2019 06:17 AM

I use an old recipe for green tomato mincemeat pie filling and can it. It uses green tomatoes, raisins, currents, cinnamon, cloves etc. It calls for suet, but I just skip that. When I use it to bake a pie I add fresh chopped apples and sometimes rum or brandy just before baking. Most of the filling I put up is used by my husband on his morning oatmeal. He keeps an open jar in the fridge and just spoons some on top after the oatmeal is cooked. Healthier (and easier) than baking pies!

tropit 12-15-2019 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by JustRetired (Post 8340447)
I use an old recipe for green tomato mincemeat pie filling and can it. It uses green tomatoes, raisins, currents, cinnamon, cloves etc. It calls for suet, but I just skip that. When I use it to bake a pie I add fresh chopped apples and sometimes rum or brandy just before baking. Most of the filling I put up is used by my husband on his morning oatmeal. He keeps an open jar in the fridge and just spoons some on top after the oatmeal is cooked. Healthier (and easier) than baking pies!

Oh...what a good idea! My green tomatoes are gone now, but I'll definitely try this next season. I love the idea of using it on oatmeal.

~ C

toverly 12-15-2019 08:28 AM

I make those items that I (only) love for potlucks and Guild parties. I get to share and I don't have to eat the entire thing. For me it's fresh coconut cake with grated coconut from the shell. Love it but I can't eat an entire cake. Especially when I Love it in 3 layers.

ptquilts 12-15-2019 08:51 AM

Both my sister and I mince pie!! Joy of Cooking has a good recipe for mock mincemeat with no meat in it.

Tartan 12-15-2019 09:33 AM

My mother made wonderful mincemeat pies with no meat just fruit/ raisin etc. I once ate a whole mincemeat pie myself at Christmas, my mother couldn’t believe it and frankly I can hardly believe it myself now.

charley26 12-15-2019 10:47 AM

Mostly called just 'mince pies' here in the UK; rarely made large (like apple pie etc) though, I prefer small ones. They are really nice at Christmas. I usually buy a jar of ready made and add things to it eg, grated apple, orange zest, a little brandy, extra fruit (sultanas etc), until I think it looks and smells delicious. No meat in them, although occasionally there is some suet in homemade and in jars of shop bought mince.
Shop bought small ones to me, are too sweet and have too much filling in them. So, I just add a teaspoon full to the pastry case, top with a smaller circle, or star shape of pastry, or some add a streusel topping, really delicious. Have warm or cold, with or without cream, dusted with icing sugar.
I make a lot, enough to fill a large cake tin, and they last til New Year.

roguequilter 12-15-2019 10:48 AM

raised by my grandmother, she made mincemeat pie every year for holiday meals. she used a 8 quart enamel pan. full, mounded, set on chair & covered w clean towel. stirred everyday ...then the baking began. she made fabulous rhubarb pies that we hand carried up & down the streets of ventura, CA to all of her friends. and no one ever turned down a slice of her mincemeat pie at family gatherings :)